How can I display a cm dimension in an inches project?

Hi,
V5
working on a project in units inches (imperial).
I need to show a few dimensions in cm though, I type 9cm and get my dimension show as 3 55/64
I go properties and property overides but no radio button for cm.

Steve

Hello - set alternate text to display both:

-Pascal

Hi,
Thanks Pascal,
Doing that though sees all my inches dims now with [ cm ] numbers displayed after the inches so very cluttered and confusing., and not so neat and simple.
I just want to see inches dims and the occasional cm dim.

Steve

Simply create a new dimension style and set the length units to cm (and whatever else you want as options). Then use that style wherever you want a cm dimension.

In R5 you can select an individual inches dimension and alter its properties:

1. add cm to the <> display to get the unit label -

2. Click on Property Overrides… and then Advanced -

3. Tick and change the Length factor to 2.54 -

Et voila:

Regards
Jeremy

Hi,
I have combined the two suggestions.
Firstly tried yours jeremy, I also had to alter setting to decimal then alter precision to 2dp. (and rhino displays fractions for precision when selecting decimal, so one has to ok then go back in and then its got .00 .000 .000 etc !

Helvetosaur, I made a new style cm, and altered fonts and spacing etc to match the inches, then I was getting 4. something and not 10.5 cm so altered length factor to 2.54 and precision to 2 dp then cm style is usable.

I wish in addition to the decimal and fraction offered in number format it gave cm as well, adopting all the same options and adding in the length factor.

Steve

Please explain.

when in imperial fractions, one can select a dimension, then go into properties?dimension>properties overide and select ‘number format’ then choose decimal andget e.g. 4.75000 rather than 4 3/4 and I have to then OK it and go back in again to choose precision 0.00 and I now get 4.75

I also wish we could choose e.g. a dimension of 3.937 and do the same procedure this time choosing number format ‘cm’ and get 10 cm.
Doing so retains the text height, extension settings arrow lengths etc etc as before.

Steve

1 Like

Hi Steve,

You created a new dimension style, so you just have to apply that - surely that makes the property overrides approach redundant?

Crucial thing though is to create a custom template with any additional dim styles you might want included so they are always available in new documents without the faff of creating anew or importing.

And I’d always create new personalised styles rather than being tempted to edit the stock ones…

Regards
Jeremy

1 Like

1 Like