I’m trying to run contours on my landform but I’m having issues with boolean union failures and I can’t troubleshoot as the error bubbles aren’t showing up and Analyze is not showing any naked or non-manifold edges.
The reason I’m trying to boolean before I contour is that I have several surfaces that I need to contour together. So my thinking was that I would extrude them all (to boundary - straight) to create solids, then boolean union into a single object, extract the top srf and contour that.
I created tapering edges along the curves of most of the surfaces so they would intersect when I extruded them, but I can’t seem to get them to boolean and I’m all out of ideas.
I need to boolean everything in the file i shared so I can extract and contour just the top surface. Perhaps those thin verticals are interfering with the boolean though so I’ll try omiting them now and have another go.
There are a lot of things to boolean, too so perhaps the order of booleans is confusing rhino - i might try them sequentially rather than all together as a group.
Hello - Boolean operations will not be your friend here, I would say - Trim and Split and Intersect will be helpful though. Boolean opertations typically invove closed, intersecting objects or at least ones that intersect fully - what you have here is a bunch of independent surfaces - that’s fine, but it looks to me like even if you Join as much as you can, you won’t have a setup that is happy with Booleans.
I’m trying to boolean each of these pieces of geometry here into a single object, whilst retaining the top srf structure but I just can’t get it. The second step from the bottom appears to be cause of the issue as everything else will freely boolean depending on the order of operations. I have tried Intersect to identify the issues, and I found a section that appears to be broken but I can’t seem to fix it
I took a closer look onto this, the thing was, that yesterday I imported your file into my default template whitch has tolerance set to 0.001. Then exploded the geometry, rebuilt edges and joined again.
So opening your file today I saw, that the tol is set to 1. You have to decrease it, 0.01 was enough for me.
The 6 steps could be booleaned into a single closed polysrf, the enclosed faces of the blueone where trimmed. Both can be joined into a closed polysrf.