HELP:Iges file imported to Rhino closing the surface/measuring

(can’t upload file since it’s clients) but,
when importing iges file to rhino
then joining surfaces couple of surfaces could
not be joined
Is this like a tolerance setting issue?

Also, I wanted measure a distance, but could not catch a tip of a curve (tip of fillet edge)of the imported file.Tried wirecutting but the whole surface
dissapeared.

Any solution for both?

Not joining means that the two surface edges are more than 2x the file tolerance, or something is messed up with the surface edges themselves.
The most likely issue is the tolerance stated in the IGES file was probably not the tolerance used when the surfaces were created.

When you could not select the curve “tip”, (I’m unclear as to what “tip” means to you), what Object snap were you using?

Can you export just that curve, and the two surfaces and attach them to a reply?

Most of the time it is because the edges are farther apart than the current tolerance setting. An IGES file comes with a tolerance setting but if you import the geometry the IGES file tolerance is ignored. If you open the file instead the Rhino absolute tolerance will be set to the IGES file tolerance.
To fix out of tolerance edges from an IGES file it is usually best to find where the edges won’t join and then fix them before joining everything. To do that join everything and then run Dupborder and then copy to clipboard the curves from DupBorder and then undo the join and paste in the curves. Then fix the edges where the pasted curves are . CrvDeviation will tell you how close the edges are.

I would guess this is due to a bad object (degenerate geometry) Have you run the check command?

-jim

TIP.3dm (54.5 KB)
This is the curve, put an arrow at the “tip”
I was trying to measure from the origin to the tip in just the X-direction.
Usually have most osnaps except for like knots… using alt to turn them on.

Thanks for the detailed help, I’ll try both to see how it goes.

There was no curve in your file and the arrow doesn’t point at anything that can be snapped to.

If you are trying to find the point on the fillet surface that is farthest in the positive X direction you can use silhouette from top view and then use quad snap to find the farthest point on the silhoette curve

Another way to find the point is copy and paste this macro into the commandline:
closestpt pause w10000000000000,0,0
enter

Pick the fillet surface when the commandline asks for the target surface for closestpt

sillouete I think that’s what I’m looking for.
Thank you!
And yes I should have written swept surface instead o curve as there was no curve.
Thank you all for the help.