Help ! I have lost all annotated text

Rhino has been behaving strangely. The panels on the RH side of the screen keep coming undocked.
I am trying to print a 28 page document (but Rhino is outputting a splodgy mess, so I am trying to trouble shoot by adjusting linewidths etc)
It crashed, and now ALL text on all Rhino documents I open has completely disappeared !!

I tried to contact support but it is 2:30 pm in the UK and they have closed for the day

Please help

Thanks

edit : it seems to be linked to the template layout file that I use for all of my drawings.
I did not realise that all documents were linked via the layout ?
In other words I have a template file… within it are a number of premade templates (c/w drawing titles)

I have used it to create all of the drawings on my current contract.

That seems to have become corrupted and now ALL of my drawings (from months and months) don’t display ?!

How is that possible ?

I’m now opening up old template files… they are ALL behaving in the same way…
All layouts on all drawings are not working and not displaying text

edit : no i have found one that works (out of many)

Yikes, Lets get your system info: type in the command line and paste here.

If its possible can you upload your file to our private server as well.

Upload

Thank you :slight_smile:
Here it is :slight_smile:
Rhino 7 SR16 2022-2-15 (Rhino 7, 7.16.22046.13061, Git hash:master @ 98ed898fb42f6853548815cdbcd480c37746693b)
License type: Commercial, build 2022-02-15
License details: Cloud Zoo

Windows 10.0.22000 SR0.0 or greater (Physical RAM: 16Gb)

Computer platform: LAPTOP - Plugged in [92% battery remaining]

Hybrid graphics configuration.
Primary display: Intel(R) UHD Graphics (Intel) Memory: 1GB, Driver date: 2-3-2022 (M-D-Y).
> Integrated graphics device with 4 adapter port(s)
- Windows Main Display is laptop’s integrated screen or built-in port
Primary OpenGL: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060 Laptop GPU (NVidia) Memory: 6GB, Driver date: 1-28-2022 (M-D-Y). OpenGL Ver: 4.6.0 NVIDIA 511.65
> Integrated accelerated graphics device with 4 adapter port(s)
- Video pass-through to primary display device

OpenGL Settings
Safe mode: Off
Use accelerated hardware modes: On
Redraw scene when viewports are exposed: On
Graphics level being used: OpenGL 4.6 (primary GPU’s maximum)

Anti-alias mode: 8x
Mip Map Filtering: Linear
Anisotropic Filtering Mode: High

Vendor Name: NVIDIA Corporation
Render version: 4.6
Shading Language: 4.60 NVIDIA
Driver Date: 1-28-2022
Driver Version: 30.0.15.1165
Maximum Texture size: 32768 x 32768
Z-Buffer depth: 24 bits
Maximum Viewport size: 32768 x 32768
Total Video Memory: 6 GB

Rhino plugins that do not ship with Rhino
C:\Users\ambro\AppData\Roaming\McNeel\Rhinoceros\packages\7.0\NVIDIADenoiser\0.4.2\NVIDIADenoiser.Windows.rhp “NVIDIADenoiser.Windows” 0.4.2.0
C:\Users\ambro\AppData\Roaming\McNeel\Rhinoceros\packages\7.0\SubstanceImporter\2.0.1\Substance.Win.rhp “SubstanceImporter” 2.0.1.0

Rhino plugins that ship with Rhino
C:\Program Files\Rhino 7\Plug-ins\Commands.rhp “Commands” 7.16.22046.13061
C:\Program Files\Rhino 7\Plug-ins\rdk.rhp “Renderer Development Kit”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 7\Plug-ins\RPC.rhp “RPC”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 7\Plug-ins\AnimationTools.rhp “AnimationTools”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 7\Plug-ins\RhinoRenderCycles.rhp “Rhino Render” 7.16.22046.13061
C:\Program Files\Rhino 7\Plug-ins\RhinoRender.rhp “Legacy Rhino Render”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 7\Plug-ins\rdk_etoui.rhp “RDK_EtoUI” 7.16.22046.13061
C:\Program Files\Rhino 7\Plug-ins\rdk_ui.rhp “Renderer Development Kit UI”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 7\Plug-ins\NamedSnapshots.rhp “Snapshots”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 7\Plug-ins\RhinoCycles.rhp “RhinoCycles” 7.16.22046.13061
C:\Program Files\Rhino 7\Plug-ins\Toolbars\Toolbars.rhp “Toolbars” 7.16.22046.13061
C:\Program Files\Rhino 7\Plug-ins\3dxrhino.rhp “3Dconnexion 3D Mouse”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 7\Plug-ins\Displacement.rhp “Displacement”
C:\Users\ambro\AppData\Roaming\McNeel\Rhinoceros\packages\7.0\PanelingTools\2021.3.2.446\PanelingTools.rhp “PanelingTools”

I’ve also sent the file via the link. thanks.

System looks capable, the upload failed, might need to zip the file and try again. Thanks.

Have resent… got an acknowledgement message this time…
Note that on the doc I just sent… one page has the text (header etc)

If you take that text and copy paste on to one of the other layouts you can see that it’s not possible,

Thanks

I received your files, everything opened and printed OK. I do see some lag in populating the text properties panel on the first try, but I don’t have the Chapman Condensed font installed.

Copy layout working as expected, as is copying text from layout to layout.

Sending you a copy of the pdf to see if there’s text missing.

working in 7.16.22046.1306 as well.

Thank you yes, I am just compiling an email.
It seems to work fine in the print out you have sent…
I just downloaded Rhino 8 WIP and the file opens fine on there as well (so I have a workaround)
… But the file is still ‘broken’ on Rhino 7 for me

I think it must be related to ‘views’ used. That woudl make sense as these are common to layouts even when the layout files are not… I’ll keep seeing if I can get it to work…albeit in Arial (and wireframe)
Is there a way to copy the ‘view settings’ from Rhino 7 to 8 ? Are the config files stored in a document .ini file or something ? edit : sorry it’s in the ‘dsiplay modes’ section, where there is import/export . I’d forgotten

In the Document Properties>View>Display Modes you can import export to .ini

Other settings can be transferred via C:\Users\USERNAME\AppData\Roaming\McNeel\Rhinoceros\7.0\settings

Yes, thanks. I am in the process of exporting all of them from Rhino 7 and into Rhino 8
Rhino 8 seems to be working fine.
Rhino 7 is still ‘broken’

Is there a command in Rhino to ‘rescan font library’ ?
My suspicion is that Rhino 7 has stopped recognising the font I am using and this is the issue.
What is annoying is that the text I hve entered isn’t even visible as a text box (empty to denote the missing/corrupt font) rather it is just omitted entirely so I can’t use an alternative font

Fonts are installed/removed by Windows, after changing closing and re-opening Rhino should suffice.

add remove fonts windows 10

I have the document working perfectly in (freshly installed) Rhino 8
… so I don’t want to be installing and uninstalling system fonts.
How can I ‘reset’ Rhino 7 without losing all my window layouts / toolbars / plugins / display modes ?

Oh Dear :frowning:
Rhino 8 has no succumbed to the same problem (although thankfully I did manage to get a print out first)

I think I have isolated the page which is causing issues. Can I send to you to look at please ?

Yes, please do.

@ambrose_bill - are you printing via the Rhino PDF print driver or a different one? Also, does SelText get you anything? (i.e. the text may be there but tiny or something)

-Pascal

Hi Pascal,

Yes I’m using the Rhino pdf driver… I did just try the Adobe one but that “looks worse” (thicker lines)
Seltext doesn’t find anything

Thanks. I have done… Vanessa has it

Sent a private message.

i Have Uninstalled and reinstalled the font in question (purchased from MyFont as a .otf file)
That has made no difference.
The font works fine when using the _TextObject command.
It is the _Text which is problematic.
It also woks fine if I create blank template…
So it seems as if there is an issue with all of my templates…
Attached is the output if I attempt to ‘rescue .3dm’ for the template file(s) in question :frowning:
RescueTemplateFile.txt (223.1 KB)