Gumball lock

Hi,
Am i missing something or does gumball position reset every time an object is deselected?
Is this an option i haven’t seen yet?

many thanks,

Sam

Hi Sam - the - resets if the selection contains more than one object. For single objects it should remember.
@sam9 - do be more exact: for single objects, if Gumball is set to use the CPlane, the gumball will re-align to the CPlane if it has not been modified in its position relative to the object - like with GumballRelocate. If Gumball is set to use the Object alignment, this only aligns for certain things, not all objects have enough information to align the gumball to the object. For objects which do not carry an inherent plane, the gumball reverts to CPlane behavior.

-Pascal

Thanks Pascal, am i right in thinking the only way to stop gumball defaulting with a group is to block them?
many thanks,

Sam

Hi Sam - yes, Blocking is a good way to do that. Not as flexible and quick as grouping but it works.

-Pascal

Thanks Pascal,
i am interested in being able to determine the position of the gumball in these situations. What does Rhino use to determine the position? I would like to put a point at the same position as a reference if possible.

many thanks,

Sam

Hi Sam - I’d expect the gumball to be located on the center of the bounding box of the block. Use BoundingBox and then VolumeCentroid on the result. If the gumball isset to align to CPlane it may be that each view will find a CPlane aligned bounding box - I have to test that, I am not sure. What I mean is it could actually vary some depending on skewed CPlanes.

-Pascal