Gumball Issue: Becomes unresponsive when zoomed out

I have only noticed this issue recently - possibly since upgrading to the most recent SC.

When an object is selected and I zoom the view out by quite a long way, the gumball becomes completely unresponsive. It doesn’t change colour when I hover over it, and if I try to click on it, it acts as if it isn’t there and the object is simply deselected.

This isn’t related to a specific file and happens even if I open up a clean file, and also in safe mode.

This also only happens in parallel views, perspective views work totally fine.

Can anyone help?

Hello - so far I do not see this -

Please run the SystemInfo command in Rhino and copy/paste the results here.

-Pascal

Thank Pascal, system info is below. I have just upgraded graphics driver and disabled extra plugins, but the problem persists.

Rhino 7 SR6 2021-5-4 (Rhino 7, 7.6.21124.09001, Git hash:master @ 1a9a92254a9f347268c4c9c7f2dec50bcd90215e)
License type: Commercial, build 2021-05-04
License details: Cloud Zoo

Windows 10.0.19041 SR0.0 or greater (Physical RAM: 64Gb)

Computer platform: DESKTOP

Standard graphics configuration.
Primary display and OpenGL: NVIDIA Quadro K5200 (NVidia) Memory: 8GB, Driver date: 4-8-2021 (M-D-Y). OpenGL Ver: 4.6.0 NVIDIA 462.31
> Accelerated graphics device with 4 adapter port(s)
- Windows Main Display attached to adapter port #0

OpenGL Settings
Safe mode: Off
Use accelerated hardware modes: On
Redraw scene when viewports are exposed: On

Anti-alias mode: 8x
Mip Map Filtering: Linear
Anisotropic Filtering Mode: High

Vendor Name: NVIDIA Corporation
Render version: 4.6
Shading Language: 4.60 NVIDIA
Driver Date: 4-8-2021
Driver Version: 27.21.14.6231
Maximum Texture size: 16384 x 16384
Z-Buffer depth: 24 bits
Maximum Viewport size: 16384 x 16384
Total Video Memory: 8 GB

Rhino plugins that do not ship with Rhino

Rhino plugins that ship with Rhino
C:\Program Files\Rhino 7\Plug-ins\Commands.rhp “Commands” 7.6.21124.9001
C:\Program Files\Rhino 7\Plug-ins\rdk.rhp “Renderer Development Kit”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 7\Plug-ins\RhinoRenderCycles.rhp “Rhino Render” 7.6.21124.9001
C:\Program Files\Rhino 7\Plug-ins\rdk_etoui.rhp “RDK_EtoUI” 7.6.21124.9001
C:\Program Files\Rhino 7\Plug-ins\rdk_ui.rhp “Renderer Development Kit UI”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 7\Plug-ins\NamedSnapshots.rhp “Snapshots”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 7\Plug-ins\RhinoCycles.rhp “RhinoCycles” 7.6.21124.9001
C:\Program Files\Rhino 7\Plug-ins\Toolbars\Toolbars.rhp “Toolbars” 7.6.21124.9001
C:\Program Files\Rhino 7\Plug-ins\3dxrhino.rhp “3Dconnexion 3D Mouse”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 7\Plug-ins\Displacement.rhp “Displacement”

Hi Ben -

Just to make sure, can you create a scene from a factory-default template with just a simple box and a parallel viewport in the state where you can reproduce that issue?

Note that the title in this thread says “Not responsive when camera is far from object” and in the body you write “When an object is selected and I zoom the view out by quite a long way […]”. Zooming out in a parallel viewport doesn’t place the camera any further from the object. So, a specific file would at least have us look at the same thing.
-wim

Thanks Wim. I have made a scene as you suggested with the default large objects mm template.

Sorry the reference to the camera was mistaken (I edited the title to rectify) - it is purely about zooming out in any parallel viewport. Once zoomed out far enough, the gumball becomes a ghost. Even if I draw new geometry in that same view, I cannot use the gumball until I zoom into the point where it starts working again.

(by the way - what is the main software that people use to record videos to upload here? It might be useful in this case!)

Buggy Gumball.3dm (151.6 KB)

Hi Ben - A clip might be useful here, indeed…Gumball in your file behaves as expected here - Are you using a standard mouse?
We use Camtasia or Snagit around here, but there are free capture apps out there - I think maybe Vimeo has something available for Chrome.

-Pascal

Thanks Pascal - see video below, if it works!

I’m no Spielberg…yet

Hi Ben that worked fine - but does this happen in a blank new file? The bad thing seems to kick in when other stuff comes into view. Are all the objects at the same Z for that view, or are some very much farther away from the camera then others?

-Pascal

It happens in all files and all parallel views - even clean ones. I think it’s just a coincidence that it kicks in when you see the other geometry. All objects are at 0 on the Z.

I only just noticed this a few days ago - never had any problems before that. No new mouse or anything. Plus Rhino 6 works totally fine…

Hi Ben - I poked around the bug reports and found one that may be relevant. Judging from the date, this may correspond to the behavior you report. I will test 7.6.

@Ben_B - yep, I see the problem in 7.6, and not in the latest 7.7.

-Pascal