Gucci Horsebit bag

I was talking with @Vanessa the other day and when we were exchanging some of the projects we had been working on, she showed me a bag she had modeled during a training at Gucci. I have been working on leather products before for one of my clients (Kharma) and asked if I could take a shot at improving the realism in the model by working on the stitching. I ended up making a small gh definition (which is still in prototype phase) to add physical stitches to a surface based on a curve. Instead of using the dashed line technique I wanted to take it a step further and make the curves more like an actual stitch, including texture mapping. Studying the large photographs on the Gucci website I found that every stitch is slightly rotated, so that’s what I did to the stitches as well.
In the process of adding the details I made some modifications to the surfaces Vanessa had built, basically adding a small indent for the stitches to lie in.

Some surfaces I turned into SubDs. The edges of the leather have a different material. Unfortunately right now this means splitting of the ‘edges’ of the leather pieces when it is a SubD object. It would be nice if we can apply sub-object materials to SubD objects in the future so to keep every leather piece a single subd object. But even without the process is still smooth, since we can quickly split a SubD by edgeloop now.
The renderings were made in VRay. The objects texture mapping was done entirely in the material (using VRay’s tri-planar mapping) so no complicated unwrapping is necessary.

26 Likes

Here are some of the original images from before @Gijs stitching workflow was added for comparison!

14 Likes