Grid on non-regular surface / trim grid

Hi!

I have made a first try on a definition that trims a grid to a non-regular surface. In this case it’s going to be used for a facade study. The goal has been to be able to make it as flexible as possible for any given shape.

I’m wondering if you have an idea on how to optimize the definition. Is there another way to accomplish the same result without using Region Intersection and Boundary Surface?

See attached definition.

Thanks!
Kyrre

trim grid.gh (15.3 KB)

Hi Kyrre,

Do you need to keep the exact panel sizes specified in your rectangular grid?

This gets you to the same place “without region intersection/boundary surfaces” but does nothing towards your non-regular goal.

trim grid_edit.gh (26.1 KB)

Maybe check out these threads:

Hi Recorport,

Thank you! I didn’t think of that possibility. I like to use offset as it gives me exact values for my panels, instead of scale (which will produce different widths for the frames). Is there a way to use offset in your definition.

I have checked both threads you linked, but haven’t found that they solve my problem.

Best,
Kyrre

Sure, switched to scale for speed, but threw it back now…

Here’s a workaround (assuming you must continue using the rectangular surface grid for exactness) using both grasshopper components only and the same result using the pufferfish plugin (offset surface component works well and fast for thickening), which you should install prior to opening the definition.

pufferfish: Pufferfish | Food4Rhino

Good luck

trim grid_edit.gh (30.8 KB)

1 Like

Thank you! That’s just what I was looking for.
And thanks for the tips about Pufferfish plugin.

Best,
Kyrre

1 Like