Grasshopper offset on surface question

Hi, I am trying to make a vase.
offset on surface can’t seem to recognize the 42 faces and have an output of 30.
Please help me out.

Planter_1.gh (17.8 KB)

Hello,

The direction of the curves in the bottom row are opposite, so the offset seems to be opposite.
There are several ways to fix this, but an easy one is to offset both + and - and use the one you need.

Planter_2.gh (18.0 KB)

Thanks Masaki!
Going forward, I am trying to give thickness to the curves.
I was trying to use the “move away from” function and “ruled” the curves to form the thickness but failed as they moved away in different directions. Inwards and outwards.

perhaps I might be using the wrong function. I am basically trying to do an extrude but I can’t get by the direction of the extrude part.
Any help will be greatly appreciated!

Planter_1_re.gh (16.7 KB)

2 Likes

Hi HS_Kim,
Thanks for your solution!
I could understand better on the “offset on surface” part.
That said, I am actually trying to do an extrude on the offsetted polyline instead of doing it with the original polyline.

Planter_1_re_2.gh (27.7 KB)
Thanks Again!

Planter_1_reV2.gh (17.6 KB)

3 Likes

I liked the result HS_Kim came up with - it would make a nice 3D printed vase. But for that it needs thickness and a bottom, so I added those to create a Closed Brep that should print fine.

Except it won’t because the bottom surfaces of the horizontal cuts are unsupported, and the only way to print them is to use the printer in the ISS (zero G up there) or a resin printer (too limited size wise.) So I’m going to have to figure out how those bottom surfaces are made and then tilt them up by 45 degrees or so.

Planter_1_re-bb1.gh (33.9 KB)

1 Like

Hello,

You could cut these Breps by a horizontal surface ?
Alternatively here is an idea to add a tilt on all faces, by offsetting the curve twice.
I’ve also added a C# component that offsets a Brep with thickness (equivalent to the Rhino command OffsetSrf with Solid=True), that may be useful to you.

Planter_1_re_3.gh (15.2 KB)

Most excellent - thanks teddy.

Yes, my first idea was to make cutters with a sloping top, but your approach is much more ingenious than that. I haven’t yet looked at just how the cutout components work; hopefully I’ll be able to figure it out without too much trouble. Doing that will give me something to do while I wait for the twisted basket to print - after I get it to a reasonable design.

And thanks for the C# component - it will definitely make things easier. I can’t tolerate the C syntax requirements, but have been thinking about Python instead.

PS: Do you have one of those ultra-wide monitors? I always try to make my GH files fit on the screen of my 4K one. I find I just can’t deal with horizontal scrolling.

No I have a pretty small screen that is usually cut in half : Rhino Perspective view / Grasshopper Canvas. Despite that I am really used to scatter components quite widely on the canvas, this improves readability for me, as well as the full name display.
For very big definitions, usually I’ll try to group components with different names and colors, I also have the Group Display add-on that allows those names to show when zoomed out, so I can quickly zoom out/zoom in instead of scrolling long distances.

1 Like

It turned out my twisted basket isn’t printable - oh well. But I got your tweak for the Planter geometry working quite nicely. I made it 7-sided (of course), and it will take about 12 1/2 hours to print. Here it is at 1:50. As you can see, the horizontal grooves print perfectly. :smiley:

I’m thinking about what mods to make for Version 2.

1 Like

Thanks!

Thanks magicteddy

Hi HS_Kim
I am wondering why isn’t the segments evenly divided?

And is there a way to have even height?
Thanks!

Planter_1_reV3.gh (24.8 KB)

1 Like