Grasshopper and Macintosh

Hello,

I started using Rhino 6 and Grasshopper on Mac Catalina 10.15.6. Most of my plug-ins at my component folder are working correctly. Some important did not :frowning:
Unfortunately I noticed that Grasshopper has heavy performance issues with smooth frame rates. When it comes to navigation on canvas, the screen is very slow, scrolling and clicking commands are very slow as well. Moreover Rhino 6 is still producing unreasonable activity of the fans, even on very reduced files.

Thank you all!

Hi -

Are you trying this with the 6.30 Release Candidate? A lot of work has gone into that one that should speed this up substantially.
-wim

Hi, I am using Rhino Version 6 (6.29.20239.15172, 2020-08-26) and Grasshopper 1.0.0007. When I am checking Rhino for updates, it says that it is up to date? Why is there no notification about a new version? Where can I download Rhino 6.3?

Are you talking about Rhino 7 WIP Version?

Hi -

I’m talking about Rhino 6.30 - not 6.3 nor the Rhino 7 WIP.
Go to Options > General and change the Update frequency from Service Release to Service Release Candidate.
-wim

1 Like

Can you explain to me the differences between service release versions and service release candidate versions?

Hi -

A Release Candidate is a beta version of a final Service Release. Typically, there are 4 candidates before the final version is shipped.
-wim

And what is the difference between the most actual version of a Candidate vs. the 7 WIP version?

Those are two completely different versions.
-w

To elaborate a little: we find bugs and performance problems in the current “stable” major commercial version of Rhino and so we public “Service Releases.” Since our fixes for these bugs might cause unintended regressions, we put out “Service Release Candidates” for about a month or two to attempt to ensure we won’t inflict unintended stability problems on the broader user-community.

The RhinoWIP is the Work-In-Progress for the next major version.

1 Like

Thank you very much to make this clear to me. All the best! :slightly_smiling_face:

Back again, I installed the latest Service Release Candidate Version. From now I can not say that the overall performance really improved that much, when It comes to screen frame performance and speed of right click pop-up menus. I am not sure, but it seems to me that there is still space for improvement.

I installed Rhino 7 WIP version as well and I noticed a very smooth and fast screen (Zoom, Scrolling, Movement, Menues and Bars) on canvas interaction in Rhino and Grasshopper as well. I hope very much that this speed would be available for Rhino 6. From now I will start using Rhino 7 WIP.

1 Like