Gradient Hatch technical testing

@petumatr yes, transparency is currently supported in the Windows/Mac 7 WIP Gradient Hatch. When editing a gradient color stop use the Alpha in the color picker to set the transparency.

How quickly you can implement into standard hatching?

@Piotr if you mean do this without Grasshopper then you can do these things via the new hatch properties panel or hatch creation panel in v7. See the link below.

Am I dumb or what? Where exactly is transparency for solid hatch?

@Piotr transparency is supported through Gradient Hatches only. Enable Gradient Fill for the hatch. Select the color stops and set their colors alpha value.

Yeah, I’ve seen it and I like it, but my question was how quickly standard hatches will have transparency option (if ever)?

1 Like

I don’t believe there are any plans to allow a general transparency setting for hatches for v7 but maybe @stevebaer has some future plans?

Hi,
well I love the idea for transparency in the gradient. And I would suppose that this functionality would be available for hatch function as well. Otherwise it would be several steps in addition to get the ´normal´hatch transparent, wouldn´t it? Going through the gradient settings in order to create normal hatch transparent sounds a bit like skipping a feature :))

5 Likes

Seems like a reasonable request to me:
https://mcneel.myjetbrains.com/youtrack/issue/RH-56918

This makes sense and is the type of feedback we need while developing the WIP, so thanks. I’m trying to figure out in the UI how to properly expose this as we would need to add transparency controls to the color picker for both general object properties and layer color. We don’t really support transparency for other objects and I didn’t want to confuse users into thinking they could adjust transparency on things like curves.

3 Likes

I like sliders for all color channels. That makes it much easier to finetune, so please consider that.

And three old and golden wishes for the color tab is:

• HEX/HTML code field for fast copy paste
  • Custol color field where we can store colors.
  • Colorpicker in all color dialoges

Designers often reuse colors and/or use basecolors that they tune to generate harmonies.

4 Likes

And if you want to lift it to a new level then add blend option between the custom colors with one, three and five ÂŤbetweenÂť colors. That is a big help when ever designers are searching for harmonies in colors :slight_smile:
(And maybe there are other harmony tools that somebody know of)
This one looks interesting:

1 Like

Agreed, I tend to prefer HSL+Alpha instead of RGB or CMYK just because of the ease of use when tweaking, but that’s a matter of preference.

This is true and points to a sort of global swatch panel. The current method of creating custom colors and sharing them with the team is a bit cumbersome and generally results in a export to Illustrator for color and line weight tweaking.

I prefer as few floating menus as possible in my UI, so I’d prefer a color picker to be available without having to open up the color picker. In broader terms I think that the Rhino UI doesn’t really make use of the much higher fidelity of displays now. Just check out how many options Adobe Illustrator manages to cram into a small space:

@Stevebaer I came here to say the same thing. This addition to Rhino is very exciting in that it you have almost replaced all need for illustrator when it comes to design graphics. Blend modes would help solidify this transition and perhaps allowing for gradients / transparency to be applied to strokes as well but that is not as critical as blend modes.

Great progress regardless!

Blend modes will have to wait for the time being. There are several outstanding issues with respect to all of the new features that we have added to V7 that need to be tuned up and fixed first. They are on my list as something to work on in the future though.

1 Like

I fully understand and agree with you in that it is very important to fix and improve current tools before adding more new features. Thanks for sharing this kind of information with us, I really appreciate it.

Thank you for incorporating the ability to hatch surface using edges! I love it! Great for architects who want to use

3d models rather than 2d profiles in detail sets

I notice that hatches on curved surfaces get projected to the construction plane. Is it possible to hatch a curved surface?

Could there be an option when matching gradient hatches that the gradient stop locations orient to the new surface? I can see why the current approach is useful as well, allowing works scale control of the pattern.

I’d like to see an option to have hatches be applied to clipping planes, editable to each clipped object. Perhaps this is an object property that is selected: when clipped use hatch x with scale y and rotation z.

Awesome work!

1 Like

Coby, it appears gradients and transparency can be applied to strokes.

Neither the gradient nor the transparency (that do appear in Print Preview mode) appear when printing in either Raster or Vector on most recent Mac WIP. Not sure about windows. Is this to be expected?

Hi - I’m not seeing that here:

I don’t have a printer though. What happens when you set that to No Printer Selected or, in that dialog, use the Save as PDF option?
-wim