You will need a few plugins to make it work. I have done it in the past, if you look in the old forum you will still find a lot of stuff about it, even with some posts by me:
I made this ages ago using the process you are looking for:
Basically what you will need is:
- Use a looping plugin, I recommend Anemone, as its quite simple and works really well.
- It can run a set amount of times, which will be your number of frames. The loop output of the current frame is your driver for everything that needs to be animated.
- Use the Object Save component from Lunchbox to save as .obj files
- Run the loop and leave it running till it is finished
- Re-assemble in your favourite 3D software (I used Maya, but Cinema4D also works great)