Fun with Sub-D > Flying purple cows?

I am having too much fun with the Sub-D tools. This is my fourth character and one thing I learned : start with a single plane or box. It just gives you so much more freedom and control. I didn’t do that with the first few models, so I am hoping this is a sign of improvement. :slight_smile:

Rendered with V-Ray.
Thanks to @theoutside (Kyle Houchens) and @BrianJ (Brian James) for the excellent intro, tips, and inspiration.

17 Likes

Cute character @schultzeworks! Is that a procedural texture for the spots, what was your mapping workflow?

Hey @BrianJ Thanks for the comment.

With such a ‘twisted & folded’ organic surface, I only tried the V-Ray procedurals. After a lot of experimenting, I ended up using their stucco procedural material, of all things. It seemed to have the most intuitive ‘randomizer’ and color A vs. B mixing. Still, it took 15 or 20 rest renders to dial it in.

Here’s a look at the settings

2 Likes

these are amazing Dave!

1 Like

Thank you Kyle @theoutside :ok_hand::grin::+1:

So, super nerdy question … I have read that ‘it’s best’ to always have quads. So, one vertex at a ‘corner’ with with four edges heading out. However, these organic characters ONLY seem to work well for me when I have a five-intersection vertex or occasional three-intersection. You can see this at the eyes and nostrils.

This makes sense as I am increasing the level of detail in some areas and have to add more resolution.

QUESTION > Can I just forget this old ‘quads only’ rule and go with what works??? Or, am I just missing a better way to handle the detail-transition areas?

ngons are fine with Rhino SubD.

I try to stay with quads where possible because they behave very predictably., but it’s completely ok to use ngons where they work.

1 Like

Thanks for the excellent advice.

It can be weird to self-teach certain processes that can be done so many ways. I never know where the knowledge gaps are!

I’m not saying “We don’t know what we don’t know…” That’s another guy.

Yes, but you often discover some really great ways to do things when you throw out the rule book…

the cool thing about you, is you then teach others what you learned and that makes you rad.

1 Like