Flow along surface half sphere surface

Does anyone know how to get bump shapes on a sphere in a consistent non distorted way with equal spacing. I have tried flow along surface and revolved both the sphere half and the circle surface but this is the best result I have been able to get so far. Is there a better tool? I have tried the paneling tool but this also gave me distorted results and the grid was giving me inconsistent output on the half shpere. I have included an image of the results I have made as well as an image of a toy ball to show the pattern and placement I am looking to make. Thank you.

Hi Tyler - try the FlowAlongSurface on the right with Rigid=Yes. If you do this with History recording on, you can adjust the input spheres locations to fine tune the output locations.

-Pascal

Thank you that gave me much better results.

Just another quick questions my history is not staying on and updating when I use flow along surface is there another setting I need to do besides clicking the record history button before starting the command?

Hi Tyler - if the record history panel is in Bold before the command ends,

history should be recorded - that means you can move one of the input spheres, for instance, and the corresponding flowed sphere should also move.

Any luck?

-Pascal

It is bold when I start the command and then when it finishes running it turns un bold. Then nothing updates when moved.

Hi Tyler - can you post here or send to tech@mcneel.com, with a link back here in your comments, a file with your input objects?

-Pascal

I think this should be what you need. Thank you again for your attention.

Hi Tyler - see the attached - move any of the spaheres on the flat surface - some are colored to make them easier to track.
flow along surface and paneling experiments_PG.3dm (13.3 MB)

-Pascal

Maybe I have a setting wrong or something because my spheres do not move any of the spheres on my target sphere. I have made a short screen record to show how this is happening, notice the record history turns itself off when I try to move the object. The record history was off when I first opened the file then it I turned it on. The history was not working in either state.

Hi Tyler - RecordHistory state does not matter for updating existiing history but the Update children setting in the menu that pops up from the pane, or in the History command, does - that needs to be enabled (default setting)

-Pascal

Great that solved it I did not realize that was there. Also while you are answering flow along surface questions why do the forms flow along the surface upside down sometimes like the image shows? I swear I do the exact same process each time but get varying results.

Hi Tyler -
The command pays attention to the surface normals of the source and target surfaces.
You can check that by running the Dir command on both.
-wim

Thank you that makes much more sense now.