Fillet edge command keeps forming a gap

The fillet edge is keep creating a gap instead of creating a smooth intersection. Can someone pls help me?
myHammer.3dm (835.5 KB)

1 Like

Hi Baris - this is because, in your particular example, there is a seam in the hammer head surface that happens to be closer to the edge being filleted than the radius:

Rhinoā€™s great weakness in filleting edges is that it cannot find faces that are not on the edge being filleted - it cannot ā€˜jumpā€™ over to an unconnected face.

In this case, use FilletSrf , twice, with Extend = No.

Youā€™ll then need to trim and re-assemble the part.

A sort of geeky way out, if you want to re-make that part is to set UseExtrusions to make polysurfaces rather than extrusion objects, and when you extrude using ExtrudeCrv, set SplitAtTangents=No - then the only seam will be from the curve seam, which is not at that awkward location.
Iā€™d just use FilletSrf on what you have, good to get that process worked out, youā€™ll need it again.

-Pascal

2 Likes

Itā€™s odd that we seem to know what the weakness are, but no way to get around it automaticallyā€¦ :beers:

Moving seams and trimming things manually to help Rhino, is fine I guess. Probably some crazy NURBS maths problem or somethingā€¦

My approach would be to eliminate the problematic edge in cases similar to this.

myHammer_emod.3dm (3.3 MB)

I basically networked them two srfs together as accurately to the originals as reasonably possible, then joined everything water-tight, and filleted to 2.5mm radiusā€¦

Too bad Rhino couldnā€™t do that automatically. I should probably make a Eto.button or somem. ā€˜merge srfsā€™ seems primitive.

Maybe I shouldnā€™t have networked those srfs, but sometimes design intent needs to be compromisedā€¦or questioned. Like why was the edge there? And should it be there?

Thereā€™s other parts of this ā€˜hammerā€™ where there probably should be some edges, in order to clean up some curvature isolations, but I donā€™t want to be too critical :sweat_smile: I probably already moved one that was supposed to be there :grin:

2 Likes

thx for your help

1 Like

thx you for helping me

1 Like

hi Pascal i tried your Method which looks really simple, but using a Mac is there maybe a bug? i could not get the Fillets to intersect with the underlying surfaces, so trimming and joining is by all means not possible. Or did i miss something?

1 Like

@baris1
you can also use pipe on the edge, then trim off the surfaces and use BlendSrf with option chain edge.

1 Like

Hello - should work but use the fillet edges to trim not the fillet surfaces - then Trim does not have to worry about the barely-touching fillets leaving gaps in the intersection curves.

-Pascal

2 Likes

hm that even worked and joined in the endā€¦ strange.

remember the crv trick for trimā€¦

run the trim command, then type crv in the command line and hit enterā€¦ this allows surface edges being selected as trim input objects.

1 Like

:shushing_face: i use that trick alot :grin: