Feature Request: Gradient and Transparency Hatches

Hello Mcneel

If possible it would be very helpful to be able to create gradient and partially transparent hatch objects (or another object that provides a similar function) in Rhino for Mac. Here are a few examples:

Is this possible?

Thanks.
DS.

2 Likes

It’s not currently possible with how the tool is designed now.

I’m pretty sure this is on the future wish-list, but I added a new one anyway:
https://mcneel.myjetbrains.com/youtrack/issue/RH-45234

Thanks for your reply John.

Do you have any suggested workarounds at this point?

I believe that there is a Rhino Windows tool which achieves this effect, but it has not made it over to the Mac version yet. Is this correct? What are the chances of that tool being ported into the next Mac version?

Best.
DS.

Nothing in Windows Rhino I know of either.
It would be a “post production” thing done is some other paint-style application, or perhaps you could fake it with a decal or color texture applied to the surface.

For those who (like me) still dream of transparent hatches a small tipp:

If you work on a site plan (urban design etc.) make your shadow hatches red (so no other elements except shadows are red) and export you plan as PDF. Then reopen it with e.g. Illustrator and select all red fills and set their transparency. Now save your document as PDF again and you’re done.

I think there is some work going on along these lines for V7.

yes there is, see this post

@stevebaer
When V6 for Mac ships, and the V7 for Mac WIP becomes available to V6 license holders, will this new gradient hatch be in the Mac V7 WIP?

The test command will be there, yes. @Trav is working on integrating this new functionality into our existing Hatch command and UI

2 Likes