Fat Lines - Rhino WIP Print

I can’t tell if this is a problem with the WIP or something I’m doing, but whenever I try to print (using the lightweight templates I always use) the lines come out waaaay to thick. I’ve never had this problem in Ver.5 and I was hoping to troubleshoot the issue.

I checked to make sure the line width scale in the print dialog was set to 1.0 and the default line width was hairline, I also made sure all the object properties were set to layer.

Anywhere else I should look to make sure it’s not a problem of my own creation?

Are you printing vector or raster output? I just need to know since the systems for output are completely different.

Sorry Steve, I forgot to add it happens when printing as a vector only.

JRT

This is in our bugtracking system at https://mcneel.myjetbrains.com/youtrack/issue/RH-35039

I’m hoping to tackle this bug very soon

To add to it. R6 reads R5 Print Width differently (it’s thicker).

RH-35039 is fixed in the latest WIP

Hi @Brian,

I just want to mention I downloaded the latest release and tried printing again and had more problems with the line weights/display. Some objects don’t print at all and other line weights don’t translate well between V5 & V6. Some lines are fine but others are “fatter” or do not show in the layout print preview or the final PDF produced.

Also, somewhat related - dimension text is getting screwy and curves are becoming faceted.

Apologies if you’ve heard this feedback already.

Thanks,
JRT

@jtrudeau thanks for the bug report. Can you please

1. attach a simple 3DM file that shows this problem
  2. describe step-by-step what you do to make the problem show up?

“Screwy” doesn’t help me understand the problem. Can you describe it differently?

Thanks

I’ve started the following bug reports. Both need a bunch more details in order to be fixed.
Logged as RH-37024.
Logged as RH-37025.

Hi @brian

A step by step description is simple really :

• I open up a file that prints fine in V5
  • I open the same file in v6 and print using those same parameters (basically raster w/ hatch scaling enabled in options) and same line weights/layers

The trouble I described for the dimensions can be seen circled in the before and after images in my last post. It looks like certain dimension texts are being pushed over into the adjacent dimensions once Rhino thinks they won’t fit in between the ticks. It happens once you get smaller than 1’-0". I’m not sure if it has something to do with not culling the 0’s for dimensions.

Lastly, when trying to edit a particular dimensions style (i was trying to see if there was an option to cull the 0’s) I get a giant list of fonts and other texts instead of the dimension styles.

See below for examples and an example file. Thanks again for looking into this.

WIP_JRT.3dm (6.6 MB)

Thanks, I logged the bug about too many annotation styles in RH-37031.

Thanks for all your help Brian.

@jtrudeau - The shifted dimension text is because the actual text in the 8" dimension is different after being converted to V6.
It would be very helpful to have a V5 file with that example so I can compare the dimension and the style before and after converting.

Thanks,
Lowell
lowell@mcneel.com

Hi @lowell,

Apologies, I never saw your reply from my earlier post. I just came across it after I downloaded the latest WIP and had the same thing happen again.

Also, the annotation style bug (from my post on Dec '16) is still there in case this information helps.

Lastly, some of my block from v5 are not entirely there when I open in the WIP.

See attached for the v5 file you requested earlier. This file should contain all the problems I’m experiencing.

Example_File.3dm (7.7 MB)

Thanks for your help
JRT

Thanks for the file - I see about 3 or 4 things so far to fix. They all look pretty easy and I can make most of them look right by changing a couple of settings in annotation styles manually, so it shouldn’t be too hard to figure out how to do them automatically.
It’s a little more complicated because of a font that you use, klavica, that I don’t have and I’m not sure yet if handling that is making any difference in setting up styles. I don’t just want to install that font until I see what happens when it gets substituted.
I’ll let you know how it comes out pretty soon.
-Lowell

Thanks @lowell I appreciate it.

I attached the font for you to test if necessary.

KLAVIKA.zip (2.4 MB)

@jtrudeau - With that’s going out today I think your example file reads pretty well.
I see a problem with 1 piece of text that comes out bottom aligned instead of top, but other than that, it looks pretty good.
Let me know if you see other things I missed.
Thanks for all the help

@lowell,

I don’t see a file attached, should I be looking for a corrected file or are you saying the file I attached looks pretty good considering the bugs that currently exist when opening a V5 file in V6 WIP? Also, is dimension migration a priority or will it stop becoming an issue since people will slowly stop migrating V5 files with dimensions.

Lastly, the only other big problem I have you already know about, which is the giant list of annotation styles which appears to be associated with the font list.

Many thanks for your patient help,
Justin

@jtrudeau - I meant that when I open the file you posted a while back - Example_File.3dm - it looks good now in v6.
Several bugs have been fixed that have to do with problems opening that file when you posted it and some other things too.

Your file has 7 styles in v5.
When I open it in V6, there are those 7 plus 3 that are made for 3 configurations of Klavica text in the file - Klavica Bold, Klavica Medium and Klavica Light Caps.

To see what I mean, open that file now in a current v6 WIP

I don’ t know how important and persistent the dimension migration priority will be. There may be people who want to go back to v5 files for some time. We’ll have to see how that works out.

Lowell

Great, thanks for looking into that… it all makes sense.

-JRT