Exporting Rhino to Illustrator - problem with the order objects

Hi all,

I’m trying to export a collection of polysurfaces (boxes / extruded squares) to illustrator. As soon as I open it in illustrator, the order in which the surfaces of the boxes are displayed has changed. For example, the bottom surface might suddenly appear on top of the upper surface. So far I haven’t found any consistency - so I have no idea how to solve this.

This is what it should look like:

This is what it looks like after exporting, opened in illustrator:

I’m very, very frustrated at the moment… I’ve been trying this for 4 days now.
Help me! Thank you!

Tessa

Could you please detail the method you are using to export/import and the file format you are using?

Oh, yes, sorry! Thank you for the reply.

I’m using Rhino 5, or more specifically:
Version 5 SR9 64-bit
(5.9.40609.20145, 09/06/2014)
Educational

The boxes I’m exporting are polysurfaces, extruded from curves.

I export as Adobe Illustrator (.ai). ‘snapshot of current view’ is checked - I can’t change that. And colour settings: CMYK.

I open it with Adobe Illustrator CS6.

Is there anything else I need to specify?

The problem here I think, is that Illustrator is a 2D package; it doesn’t read surfaces in a 3D space very well. If I was doing this I would remove the none-visible surfaces, flatten everything (project to a convenient construction plain) place what you get on the world construction plain (if it isn’t already) and then bring it into Illustrator.

Actually, reading you’re second post, I guess removing the faces you don’t see would probably do it. I have never bought surfaces from Rhino into AI before, just vectors. How are you preserving the colours? Or to put it another way, converting them to fills?

Tessa, why do you need them as vectors in illustrator?
Can you use a high res image? If so use the -viewcaturetofile and set the desired resolution.
And/or trace it in illustrator.

Thank you both for your answers!
Six days later, and still struggling…

Holo, if I capture to file, I don’t see where I can set the desired resolution. Are you sure that’s possible? I don’t necessarily need vectors (although it would be nice - for changing the colours to the exact CMYK values I need), but so far creating a high-res image has been even more difficult… the default resolution for capturing the current view is very low.

Toine, the colours are the object’s property, and are exported automatically. I like your suggestions, but since it’s not just about one image… is there quick way to delete everything that is not in the foreground? Or a quick way to flatten everything visible?

you need the “-” in front to “unlock” the hidden features. It is all on the Command line.
Click Browse to select filename and then Height and Width to set the resolution.