Illustrator Layers

Hi,

I’m not sure if anyone has noticed. When you export a file from Rhino to Illustrator all the layers appear in reverse order. This is not a big issue, but I thought it is worth mentioning.

• Miguel

Hi Miguel,

Thanks for this report. Which AI export options are you using and what is your version of AI too. If you have a sample 3dm file, that would also be great to have. I’ll file this as soon as I can reproduce it for the developers.

Hi Brian,
I’ve attached a simple rhino and illustrator file. This was made with Rhino for mac (I checked both versions and I get the same output). I’m using Illustrator CS6. I just export the Rhino file from the top view. I normally export 1:1 scale in mm, I do switch sometimes between cmyk,rgb but the output is the same.

Hope this helps,

• Miguel

As a side note I could not upload a native Illustrator file, the forum wont allow it, so I created a zip file.
Archive.zip(14.5 KB)

Thank you Miguel. I’ve added this as a bug in our system and development will take a look as soon as possible. The report number is RH-20659 but this is not publicly visible at the moment.

Hello,
I am new to the forum. I discovered an error exporting curves from Rhino 5.0 to Illustrator cs 6. I attached an image, Maybe this fits to this topic.

Thank you for your input!

regards, Marki

Hi Marki- can you please post an example file or send to tech@mcneel.com, att’n: pascal? thanks.
-Pascal

Hey Pascal! Thank you very much for responding, I attached you the file, it consists of only 2 lines and when I export it as .AI (adobe illustrator cs6) the named error occurs when opening the exported file with AI.Sketch_1013.3dm(20.9 KB)

Hmm- CSs 4 likes it OK, I’ll see if I can find someone with cs6 around here.

test_Marki [Converted]_CS4.zip(33.7 KB)

-Pascal

Hi @pascal ,

It works fine for me, I’m using Ilustrator CS6 on Mavericks.

-Miguel

Hi Miguel- thanks - did you try exporting the curves from Rhino and opening in cs6, or did you open my file (which is re-saved from cs 4 and may not be a good test)

thanks,

-Pascal

Hi @pascal, I’ve exported the curves from rhino and it works fine. Maybe @MK2k13 could upload his .ai file and I can try it out. On my end everything works fine.

-Miguel

Ha Ha, it’s till the V1 that Rhino has this bug. I was thinking that Adobe would try to mess up imported file… Ha Ha Ha!!!

I am kind of confused. I still have this problem. With Rhino 4.0 exported .AI files are working well. Is it a problem with rhino or illustrator (CS 6.0) or both? :slight_smile: Thank you in advance!

I’ve always had issues with my exported ai files…
I am never able to fill my closed path groups. I have to cut them and bring them into another file.
Any idea why this would happen?

What do you mean by “closed path groups”?

In Rhino, if a curve (set of curves) is closed and planar, then it can be hatched. And if it can be hatched in Rhino then it can be filled in AI.

Send a file if you want us to look at your particular problem.

Hi Marki - have you tried this with both the ‘RBG’ and ‘CMYK’ color settings on export?
-Pascal

Sorry. It’s not that I can’t fill. It’s that my default fill pallette is always empty when opening an exported AI file from rhino.

Is there any way to have the default color palette load with a rhino exported ai file?

I see that as well - I have no idea if this is something we can control- I suspect not, but I’ll ask.

-Pascal

In Rhino 5 SR12 64-bit, indeed layers are reversed in order when moved to Illustrator via either Export or Export Selected.

However, what is here being called “layer order” seems to be merely the obscure order the layers were created instead of the actual Layers palette layer order, since once I rearrange that order, not a thing changes in the Illustrator order. It’s deceptive if you happen to have created a stack of Layers palette layers manually and then think you are exporting that order. No, you are not, the order just happens to match their creation order! This means Illustrator export is broken, not just quirky, since mere reversal is fixed with a single Illustrator Layers palette pop-up menu command, but there’s only manual labor to fix layer order.

Obviously sublayer structure is desired too, but that’s easy to fix manually, by flattening your sublayers in the Rhino Layers palette via selection and using the un-nest left arrow button. Otherwise sublayers obtain long compound names like Layer02::LayerX which isn’t very useful since Illustrator won’t automate layer name and nesting changes well via Actions.