Export DWG version still 2007

Hello!
It’s possible in Rhino to import DWG 2018, but export is still limited to version 2007. I’m wondering what the reason is.
We exchange DWG data between Rhino, ACAD, Revit all the time in our architectural office, which works fine, but it would be interesting to know which DWG features are unsupported because of that.
I could not find a comparison site for the DWG version history (2018, 2013, 2010, 2007, …).
Thanks!

The things we write to Acad files are limited by what we are able to map from Rhino to Acad.
I don’t know of any constraint because of using Acad 2007 out.
The main reason that we don’t increase the output version to the latest thing is that it would make it harder for other programs, especially 3rd party programs, and people with older Acad, to keep up.
For now, as far as I know anyway, there would be no benefit to using a newer version.
If we run into something we’d like to write that doesn’t work with 2007, we’d look at adding a newer version.

2 Likes

Thanks, Lowell!
Regarding to this (longer) blog thread from 2017, not much is changing anymore feature-wise in DWG, at least from 2015 to 2018.

Dieter Schlapfer, technical writer at Autodesk, writes there:
“The DWG format has been updated to provide improvements in the efficiency of open and save operations, especially for drawings that contain many annotative objects and viewports. Additionally, 3D solid and surface creation now uses the newest geometric modeler (ASM), which provides improved security and stability.”

… and gets in the crossfire of people asking if such updates happen out of necessity or are Autodesk’s attempt to hinder the competition…