Experiment: AutoCPlane mode as a V5 plug-in

Eek…this is not right at all…

I think this has slipped away from the original intent…You version pascal was much closer, and honestly all it needed was to have the top and bottom viewports snap square to the screen edges and it would have been perfect.

OK… I got different feedback as well here. I’ll consult with @piac to see if we can get the squaring up to work for Top. I know that was the original intent but the snapping and change to parallel were deemed to fidgety. Also, I am not sure it is possible to keep control of the views when changing projections in more complex scenes than my simple tests. I did some tests where things did not look too good at all.

-Pascal

1 Like

I’m not sure I follow what you guys are on to now…
I’ve been using Pascal’s py script in RH6 from the start and switched to Giulio’s rph for RH6 when that was posted and am loving it. I hope you are not going to force a ortho parallel view! On most occasions when I use the feature it is in instances where a non-top CPlane is needed but where the geometry that I am adding is not right on the side/front CPlane. Being able to see in perspective where I’m snapping is important.

Hi Wim - when I first cooked up the prototype here in the office the view snapped and squared as a parallel projection to the CPlane when the plane changed, then went back to Perspective when tumbled away from that plane. The way Rhino (or my typing, still not sure) handles the ‘squaring up’ part was never working right in Top, and that was Kyle’s gripe. However, in the meantime, the snapping/projection change part was getting on testers nerves so I took it out. Being able to do this snapping with a modifier key might be a good compromise - it may be possible in a script, but I don’t know how to do it, I’ll need Giulio’s help. Again…

-Pascal

1 Like

Hi Pascal,
Thanks for that additional info! I’ll be watching this space for updates.
cheers,
wim

hi Kyle

maybe ug nx’s F8 function is similar to your idea ,when user press the f8 key,the view will orient to the nearest standard orthographic plane.

and here is my earlier post refers to this.

In zbrush the snap is done by hitting the shift key…It’s brilliantly simple and works exactly how I want this feature to work in rhino. I’d even keep the shift key modifier…

Currently, Shift, while tumbling the view, locks the rotation axis ‘ortho’ to the viewport. Alt and Ctrl are available I think,once the view starts tumbling.

-Pascal.

Pascal,
wasn’t offering an alternative mapping something one could consider? I regularly use three different applications which all use the identical “Shift to Snap View Rotation” – it was just great if the same would work in Rhino. Losing the current V5 introduced Shift function was painless for me.

I’m ok, using a different key…

As Holger, this is not a feature that I use (and one that I wasn’t aware of). I just tried it a bit and was trying to define its behavior in function of the viewport ortho but got nowhere :grin:. Then I went into the help file which reads

Press Shift to constrain to view rotation to horizontal or vertical. The direction is determined by the relative location of the cursor to the point where the right mouse button was pressed down. If the cursor is more to the left or right than up or down, the rotation is locked horizontally, and vice versa.

I guess that makes sense. Are you guys sure anybody is using this feature?

I am (not very often though) :smiley:

Philip

1 Like

Having a pan axis lock in my opinion is indispensable. I wouldn’t mind if I had to access it via another method (in fact I might prefer that, as the start to pan then lock looks a little haphazard to those standing over your shoulder who care more about shot framing than I do), but I very much need that functionality to stay.

Thinking about it, something like this might be nice. Settings would apply per viewport:

5 Likes

FWIW
I’m mostly back on RH5 these days and noticed a difference with this script as opposed to running in RH6. As I am running the python script in both RH5 and RH6 I had to dig a bit to see why this was happening.

Conclusion: I like the KyleMode_NoViewSnap_Label (posted 2014-12-12) much better than the AutoCPlane_01_07_15 version - to the degree that the latter is useless (to me :grin:).

@piac - just a heads up on Wim’s note above - the thing will need some options, obviously…

thanks,

-Pascal

1 Like

this is pretty cool!

Frustrated.
I have to work in 5 right now and I can’t get this working. It’s installed, it shows up in the Plugins folder but when I type in the command nothing happens. After using this in 6, working without it seems very cumbersome and … well, backwards. It’s so much more fluid working with this plugin - not only modeling but adding dimensions, everything

Any thoughts as to what I might do to make this work in 5 will be much appreciated. I’m hoping it’s something obvious and stupid that I’ve overlooked.

Thanks.

Doesn’t it say anything at all on the command line?
It should either say that the command is not known, that the mode is now off, or ask you for an angle.

Have you tried reinstalling the plugin?

If all else fails, you could always use the script version - that’s what I do.

Hi Arail - I am booked up this week with a class but if you do not get it sorted, I’ll see if I can help on Friday.

-Pascal

What?! You have a life outside this forum? That’s so weird, kind of like finding out Yoda has a day job.

No. That’s what’s confusing. I reinstalled the plugin -

But then when I fire the command the command name shows up in the command line but then nothing -

I will struggle with this more today.
Thanks all.