Duplicate Layer without History

When I duplicate layer and change the material of the new layer, the original layer changes to the new material. Is there a setting to change that?

Hello - that does not sound right at all. It does not happen here. Are you sure that both layers are not highlighted when you click on the material swatch?

-Pascal

DuplicatedLayersAllChangeMaterials

Rhino 6.23

I see… can you please try saving, closing and reopening Rhino? This is a new one to me…

-Pascal

I have. It persists. I’ll upload the project.

It’s uploaded

Thanks, I have your file, the problem does not show up here -

Please run the SystemInfo command in Rhino and copy/paste the results here.

-Pascal

Thanks. Here it is:

Rhino 6 SR23 2019-12-18 (Rhino 6, 6.23.19352.17321, Git hash:master @ b92375050acc8b9f60fa4303d5031aeb97a2dc2f)
License type: Commercial, build 2019-12-18
License details: Cloud Zoo. In use by: David Grantham ()

Windows 10.0 SR0.0 or greater (Physical RAM: 16Gb)
Machine name: LAPTOP-19DBBOQS

Hybrid graphics system.
Primary display: Intel® HD Graphics 630 (Intel) Memory: 1GB, Driver date: 10-17-2017 (M-D-Y).
Primary OpenGL: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 Ti (NVidia) Memory: 4GB, Driver date: 3-16-2018 (M-D-Y). OpenGL Ver: 4.6.0 NVIDIA 391.25

OpenGL Settings
Safe mode: Off
Use accelerated hardware modes: On
Redraw scene when viewports are exposed: On

Anti-alias mode: 4x
Mip Map Filtering: None
Anisotropic Filtering Mode: Height

Vendor Name: NVIDIA Corporation
Render version: 4.6
Shading Language: 4.60 NVIDIA
Driver Date: 3-16-2018
Driver Version: 23.21.13.9125
Maximum Texture size: 32768 x 32768
Z-Buffer depth: 24 bits
Maximum Viewport size: 32768 x 32768
Total Video Memory: 4 GB

Rhino plugins
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\Commands.rhp “Commands” 6.23.19352.17321
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\WebBrowser.rhp “WebBrowser”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\rdk.rhp “Renderer Development Kit”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\RhinoScript.rhp “RhinoScript”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\RPC.rhp “RPC”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\RhinoBonusTools.rhp “Rhino Bonus Tools”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\IdleProcessor.rhp “IdleProcessor”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\Tibidabo\Tibidabo.rhp “Tibidabo”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\RhinoRender.rhp “Rhino Render”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\rdk_etoui.rhp “RDK_EtoUI” 6.23.19352.17321
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\rdk_ui.rhp “Renderer Development Kit UI”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\NamedSnapshots.rhp “Snapshots”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\Alerter.rhp “Alerter”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\IronPython\RhinoDLR_Python.rhp “IronPython” 6.23.19352.17321
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\RhinoCycles.rhp “RhinoCycles” 6.23.19352.17321
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\Tibidabo\VisualARQ.rhp “VisualARQ”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\Grasshopper\GrasshopperPlugin.rhp “Grasshopper” 6.23.19352.17321
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\Toolbars\Toolbars.rhp “Toolbars” 6.23.19352.17321
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\3dxrhino.rhp “3Dconnexion 3D Mouse”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\BlockEdit.rhp “BlockEdit” 6.23.19352.17321
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\Displacement.rhp “Displacement”
C:\Program Files\Common Files\McNeel\Rhinoceros\6.0\Plug-ins\SectionTools (fbdb1d7f-8cfb-42c1-9858-87cb6315932c)\2018.9.26.937\SectionTools.rhp “SectionTools”

Hello - I guess I’d try blocking VisualArq/Tibidalbo in Options> PLug-ins page, close and restart Rhino and see if that affects anything - that is a plug-in I see that I do not have loading, so it is a suspect…

-Pascal

It’s VisualArq, so if I turn it off all my walls and doors and windows won’t show up, but let’s try it.

It’s hard to imagine it has anything to do with your concern, but I notice your video drivers are pretty outdated.

I thought they looked old, but according to Device Manger, both my video drivers are up to date.

Disabling VIsual Arq and Tibidabo doesn’t change it.

Hello - Device Manager is a born liar - I’d check the NVidia website. But, I agree with @AlW, it’s hard to imagine how that impacts this particular problem - do you have any other files where this happens, and does it happen in any other set of layers in this file?

-Pascal

I think it’s happened before that layer attributes have been undone - which is literally what I assumed had happened (with overzealous undoing, but now I’m not so sure.)

I’ll check out the Nvidia site. I’m getting objects rendering in black silhouette from time to time.

Updated the Nvidia driver, but the problem persists. The work-around for now is not to duplicate layers but always create them from scratch. it’d be great if duplicating them could work though, so please keep me posted on any advice.

Hi David - we’re not seeing that behavior here. If you can find a way to reproduce that, please let us know which steps are involved.
Thanks,
-wim