Drawing lines

I have been working with rhino for several years but i must say that drawing an organic line is a real pain in the … or maybe i am doiing something wrong. A long time ago i used to draw with 3d studio where it was fairly easy to draw a line and if you wanted to change it you just had to click on a point to change it from kink to handlebar.
Today i tried again to draw a line as a base for a cable on a bicycle so it is not in a plane. I guess i am doiing something wrong but just cannot get the hang of it. How do you do such a thing without the line goiing in all directions if you move one point.

Regards, René

Hi Rene,

Can you post a sample file showing where you are stalling at?

Have a look here: Rhino 6 Wishlist - Gumball "Align to View" Mode

I’d second @jean77flip’s comment about T-Spline drag mode, it’s really very useful, especially for the sort of stuff you’re talking about, rene1.

Take a look here as an example, it works really well with the plugin (which is EOL next month): https://youtu.be/AFumwfl5beI

Any chance of this functionality being added to V6? (hopefully before the sub-d development/release)

Andy

Here is rendering of what i want to do or actually allready did. It only took me to much time. It is about the cable from the brakelever to the rear brake.

René

That looks pretty neat with t-splines. But then i have to buy t-splines whicht does not come very cheap.

Hi René,

As you do not elaborate on your workflow I’m going to throw in some suggestions:

Do you use Control points or Edit points as edit points are influencing a larger span of the curve. So use Controlpoints!

If the editing causes too much transform try to rebuild the curve to a higher pointcount before editing.

Make sure your Osnaps are not causing points to snap way off

Make sure Planar is On to prevent points from jumping to the cplane

Does this help? Please elaborate with a simple example file on the problem you encounter.

Groeten
-Willem

I know what you mean, you could buy it but it’s about to be shelved so there’s not much point - it’s really too expensive to purchase just for the ability to move things in 3D space.

It would be a very handy addiction though, it makes a lot of sense and it makes it really easy to manipulate things from a perspective view without having to mess around with construction planes and having things shoot off into the distance.

V6… Here’s hoping!

The file was very big so that is why i did not send it but i posted a picture. Anyway your tips are usefull. It is just a tedious job in rhino i guess, switching a lot from one viewport to another.
The way i build it now is drawing it in topview then shifting the points in sideview and then moving them with the gumball around in perspective view. Adding points, deleting points, etc…
Getting there but still not a very easy task.

Regards, René

René,

Just a couple more thoughts on this, I also find it troublesome.

I often start by drawing what I want planer in two viewports, then use Crv2Views. That gives me a starting point to edit.

Done with History enabled, you can then use nudge commands on the points of the planar source curves and watch the updates to the output curve. I always find it more controlled to move stuff around in 2D than 3D, this lets you do both at once.

If the curve moves through too many planes or overlaps itself, Crv2Views will not be helpful–in that case, model it as two curves and then later connect with a Blend Curve or Adjustable Blend Curve.

In the case of your bicycle cables you might try just drawing the straight segments along the tubes and a short piece at the lever and caliper ends, and then join them with Adjustable Blend Curves.

SoftEditCrv is very useful for making smooth adjustments that extend across multiple control points without having to move each one.

If the curve begins to get kinky when point editing, MakeUniform will often restore the evenness.

FitCrv is very handy for taking out complexity you don’t need.

And yeah, I also put in a request here for Gumball-to-View last week.

Mark

Thanks Mark

those are very useful tips that i am goiing to try for the rest of the cables.

René