Drawing lines on MESH

Hi everyone,

I often have to draw lines on a mesh imported from a scanner or produce via a photogrammetry.
This process use to be very easy and relativly “fluid” into Rhino 5. But now in Rhino 6 I struggle a lot with this rather simple task.
Does anyone encoutered the same problem? Have any tips?
Thanks a lot in advance!

Pierre

Hi Pierre - what command are you using, Sketch>OnMesh? Is it hard because there is a lag? Please try checking the setting in Options > Modeling aids for ‘Snap to occluded objects’. Does that make any difference?

-Pascal

1 Like

Hi Pascal,

Thanks a lot for your answer!
I checked my settings, changed the option for “snap to occluded ovjetcs” and … it’s way better (even better than in Rhino 5 I would say)! Thank you very much!
And for the info, given that i want to obtain more lofted curves, i use polylines with “snap to vertex (or summit?)” rather than sketch on mesh.

Thanks again!

Pierre

Now that you’ve apparently got Pascal’s attention I would suggest taking the time to describe in detail what made v5 so much easier than v6 or conversely what actions are so much more complicated or slower in v6.

While you’re at it I’m sure they’d appreciate any suggestions a frequent user of this procedure might have for how to improve the whole process.

Edit: Well, there you go! I was typing my opinion while you were having success with Pascal’s solution. Nevertheless, if you have any suggestions for further improvement I’m sure they’d be welcome.

1 Like

Hello - V6 adds the possibility to exclude snaps to objects that a occluded in shaded modes - while it can be very handy, if this setting is on, which is, I think, the default, the visibility testing can be quite slow to very slow when there are heavy meshes involved. Turning it off allows snaps to work as they do in V5.

-Pascal

1 Like

@AlW & @pascal

Yes the new option to exclude snaps to occluded object (which differs from the V5) is set by default in version 6 (at least in my one).

Initially (before change in settings), when i was drawing in v6 the lag was important (not to say unworkable) and some crashes of Rhino occurred. I already had the feeling that it was only a matter of settings and not a big deal… but with no clue, how to resolve it.

In the same time, I have to say that when drawing and modelling, I was also disturbed by the fact that I was not able anymore to snap on hidden object (I was use to take this into account, with the past versions).

Pierre