Does not hatch in v7

This shape hatches just fine in v6. V7 fails citing “Self intersecting loop was found. No hatches made.” What’s going on here? I have a dozen more curves with the same issue. These curves were rebuilt (same problem before and after running _Rebuild) and I suspect they originated from an AI or dwg file. Running _SelSelfIntersectingCrv does not find any of these curves. V7 HATCH.3dm (156.2 KB)

Hi Ryan -

I saved that file in the Rhino 6 format and tried it in Rhino 6. I get the same error message there:

Self intersecting loop was found. No hatches made.

I’m not entirely surprised. You can find the offending curve by running hatch on all 4 curves separately. The internal curve of what looks to be an “A” will throw that warning.
If you explode that curve and check the length of some of the resulting curves, you will see that they are far shorter than the document tolerances.

Simply scaling up the entire word by 2 will make this hatch correctly.
-wim

Hi @wim Wim, thanks for your reply.

My absolute tolerance is set to 0.0001" in both v7 and v6 but only v6 hatches without scaling up my linework… I agree this seems related to tolerance but I still don’t know why I’m experiencing a much higher success rate with these in v6. I’m running _rebuild to get degree 3 curves (no tiny segments) that cannot be exploded further and they don’t hatch any better. Scaling up the curves does help.

Hi Ryan -

As I wrote, I saved your Rhino 7 file as Rhino 6 and opened that in Rhino 6. Are you doing something else?
-wim

I’m using _CopyToClipboard to send send linework between v7 and v6.