Distort Curves (Text) with perspective

Hello Community,
I am wondering if curves can be distorted over surfaces. I have tried “Project” and it works but I want the perspective distortion of the boundary to occur too. Any help or insight would be greatly appreciated.

distort_01.3dm (58.0 KB)

Projecting in Perspective Viewport / Projecting to a point
(Lando Schumpich) #2

I’m not a native english speaker so maybe that’s why I don’t actually understand what you mean by ‘perspective distortion of boundaries’ could you provide a sketch of what you are trying to achieve?

(Chris Kuether ) #3

Well, I AM a native English speaker. And I don’t understand what he means, either. A sketch would be helpful. :guardsman:

(Diego Krause) #4

you can try with the _Pull command is not the same than project.

What I’m pretty sure he’s looking for is a perspective projection of the text from the viewer’s standpoint (i.e. the camera point) to some “walls” - i.e. if the viewer was to stand exactly at the camera position and look at the walls, the text would look undistorted… You can’t do this with normal project/pull functions.

I think @pascal had a script for this, I had one too, but I can’t find it anymore…

The basic principle is to extrude>to point the text curves backwards to the camera point, then extend the resulting surfaces forward to intersect with the walls, the intersection will be the correct (distorted) outline.

–MItch

(Lando Schumpich) #6

so if I got this right @Helvetosaur this script should do exactly what you described:

distortCurvesToPerspective.py (2.6 KB)

(qythium) #7

Here’s a grasshopper version which does not require the surface to be in between the curves and the camera: (Should be easy enough to translate to Rhino python script)
project-curves-from-camera.gh (18.8 KB)

compressed

The effect reminded me of this OK Go video :slight_smile:

I think this is Pascal’s:

ProjectPersp.rvb (2.1 KB)

Projecting in Perspective Viewport / Projecting to a point