Display degradation

BETA
(6.0.17325.8311, 21/11/2017)

The display here in shaded mode degrades when objects are being rotated or moved, even on a simple model with only a couple of objects.
By this I mean it “goes blocky” - there is a proper name for this which I can’t recall…
I believe this has only started with this last release; in V5 everything is smooth and sweet…

Anyway, it means I cant use V6 for anything much except 2D drafting, which is a shame.
This is an old computer used in Egypt in the Early Dynastic Period, and the display drivers can’t be upgraded; previously it worked ok except not being able to display pictures in any mode except raytraced, and render just looks like a default shaded mode, but it was at least usable for basic modeling.

just sayin…

cheers
rabbit

Hi @rabbit,

Try going into Rhino Options -> View: “Dynamic redraw” and set the “Frames per second” to 0.0. This will effectively disable display degradation.

I’m still interested in knowing how large the viewport is that you are using for shaded mode, and the GPU model.

-David

I made a simplified shaded mode that uses default lighting, no fancy material override and a bit of ambient light. It gives me roughly 2x more fps on my macbook bootcamp geforce 750m when in fullscreen on the retina display.

So give it a try if you like, maybe it is the opengl material reflection thing that your system can’t handle.
Shaded_Turbo.ini (11.8 KB)

By the way: I could not find an option to toggle off “use openGL” on a global level, nor an option to use “Software emulated” in the display mode.

Thanks David

The dynamic redraw wont allow an entry of 0.0. I set it to 1, but it is just the same…

the viewport is 1245 x 675

Here is the system info:

Rhino 6 SR0 2017-11-21 (Rhino WIP, 6.0.17325.8311, Git hash:master @ d6ebbbb41e3b000fd09e606917ec9ae77daefeb6)

Windows 7 SP1 (Physical RAM: 7.9Gb)

ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4650 (OpenGL ver:3.3.11672 Compatibility Profile Context)

OpenGL Settings
Safe mode: Off
Use accelerated hardware modes: On
Redraw scene when viewports are exposed: On

Anti-alias mode: 4x
Mip Map Filtering: Linear
Anisotropic Filtering Mode: Height

Vendor Name: ATI Technologies Inc.
Render version: 3.3
Shading Language: 3.30
Driver Date: 11-16-2012
Driver Version: 8.970.100.7000
Maximum Texture size: 8192 x 8192
Z-Buffer depth: 24 bits
Maximum Viewport size: 8192 x 8192
Total Video Memory: 1 GB

C:\Program Files\Rhino WIP\Plug-ins\Commands.rhp “Commands”
C:\Program Files\Rhino WIP\Plug-ins\WebBrowser.rhp “WebBrowser”
C:\Program Files\Rhino WIP\Plug-ins\rdk.rhp “Renderer Development Kit”
C:\Program Files\Rhino WIP\Plug-ins\RhinoScript.rhp “RhinoScript”
C:\Program Files\Rhino WIP\Plug-ins\IdleProcessor.rhp “IdleProcessor”
C:\Program Files\Rhino WIP\Plug-ins\RhinoRender.rhp “Rhino Render”
C:\Program Files\Rhino WIP\Plug-ins\rdk_etoui.rhp “RDK_EtoUI”
C:\Program Files\Rhino WIP\Plug-ins\rdk_ui.rhp “Renderer Development Kit UI”
C:\Program Files\Rhino WIP\Plug-ins\NamedSnapshots.rhp “Snapshots”
C:\Program Files\Rhino WIP\Plug-ins\Alerter.rhp “Alerter”
C:\Program Files\Rhino WIP\Plug-ins\RhinoCycles.rhp “RhinoCycles”
C:\Program Files\Rhino WIP\Plug-ins\Toolbars\Toolbars.rhp “Toolbars”
C:\Program Files\Rhino WIP\Plug-ins\Displacement.rhp “Displacement”

Thankyou Holo - unfortunately no change in the degradation…

cheers
rabbit

@rabbit This has apparently changed - it used to work.

@jeff, @JohnM Do any of you know why an input of 0.0 is no longer accepted?

As far as I know, you could never input 0.0 in any version of Rhino… I’m not even sure what it would mean… 0 Frames Per Second ???

If you want the frame rate restriction to be slower than one second, than 0.0 isn’t the answer… Something like 0.5 (one frame every 2 seconds) or 0.1 (one frame every 10 seconds) is what you need to put in…if you’re trying to disable degradation altogether, then try something like 0.001.

Regardless, now that I’ve looked at the degradation today due to this thread, something seems busted. For starters, once my view degrades it remains degraded until I let go of the mouse. It used to upgrade once you stopped moving the mouse. Whether that’s an important issue anymore, I don’t know…but it was put it place due to user requests…quite some time ago, so it may be a moot point today… My only point is that unless this was removed on purpose, it means something in the degradation code is no longer working the way it used to.

-J

This was removed because neither I nor Andy thought it helped very much. Most of the time when my mouse stopped and the full render was done it was by mistake, and it caused an unnecessary lag.

We can still discuss this if you disagree with removing it.

PS. I’ve set the value to 0.0 many times to disable degradation. Something has changed.