Display drops in resolution during pan/rotate

Howdy,
This may just be hitting the wall of graphics performance, but my system is pretty decent and I’m surprised how much the image quality drops during any dynamic view manipulation (pan, orbit). Most noticeable in rendered or arctic modes. Same with every device (mouse, Wacom, 3dConnexion). Could be I have a bad setting somewhere…
Any ideas?
Cairn :slight_smile:

Rhino 8 SR1 2023-11-21 (Rhino 8, 8.1.23325.13001, Git hash:master @ 8a4a437248efac5d9cb04d3904481b83e4c23a64)
License type: Commercial, build 2023-11-21
License details: Cloud Zoo

Windows 10 (10.0.19045 SR0.0) or greater (Physical RAM: 1.3e+02Gb)
.NET 7.0.0

Computer platform: DESKTOP

Standard graphics configuration.
Primary display and OpenGL: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 (NVidia) Memory: 24GB, Driver date: 10-26-2023 (M-D-Y). OpenGL Ver: 4.6.0 NVIDIA 546.01
> Accelerated graphics device with 4 adapter port(s)
- Windows Main Display attached to adapter port 0

OpenGL Settings
Safe mode: Off
Use accelerated hardware modes: On
Redraw scene when viewports are exposed: On
Graphics level being used: OpenGL 4.6 (primary GPU’s maximum)

Anti-alias mode: 8x
Mip Map Filtering: Linear
Anisotropic Filtering Mode: High

Vendor Name: NVIDIA Corporation
Render version: 4.6
Shading Language: 4.60 NVIDIA
Driver Date: 10-26-2023
Driver Version: 31.0.15.4601
Maximum Texture size: 32768 x 32768
Z-Buffer depth: 24 bits
Maximum Viewport size: 32768 x 32768
Total Video Memory: 24 GB

Yeah, that’s by design. As your scene gets more complicated, having Rhino display full resolution during orbit can get very slow.

So it’s a ‘feature’ !!?
I’m flabbergasted.
Isn’t there maybe at least a way to have this ‘choke’ only cut in when the model is too heavy? Or let the user select a performance target rather than just apply a global limit? I would prefer the option to reduce the frame-rate…
Rhino is the only program I have with this ‘feature’.
Dynamic viewing is a fundamental part of work presentations to clients.
Any chance there’s a way to allow my $$$$ GPU to do what I bought it for?
C:/

1 Like

Check this out, you may want to adjust these advanced settings to avoid degradation on view change:

Thank you!
Hmm, this looks like it’s worth a shot. How do I access that dialogue? (I’ll sign the waiver lol)

Just go to Tools - Options - Advanced tab and can search for these values. Sorry not at my desk now to elaborate but hope you can find it - it should do the trick for you.

1 Like

Thanks, I’ll go take a look…
C :slight_smile:

If i remember correctly you need to set both to 1 to have no shadow degradation.

Yes!
This works (mostly lol)

It makes the image about 90% better, so I wonder what other tweaks might get us to 100%?
I’m happy though…
(I’m thinking any AA settings might also apply… gonna have a root around,

Maybe you try cranking up the AO shadows slider in your display mode… but typically beyond a point it just slows things down without a visible improvement.
Over here the AdvancedOptions trick makes it work 100% :wink:

Hmm…
I don’t see any sliders in my display mode settings. I must be looking in the wrong place…

Each display mode has Shadows section. There should be two sliders, for Cast and AO shadows. I mean try the AO one. (Skylight shadows)

I’m not seeing that here. Somewhere else maybe?

Oh I found it…

Although not sure which of these relates…

Seems like none make a difference to dynamic viewing…

So, glad to know it is a setting rather than hard-wired, although I’d be interested to know if you can find a way to improve it…

Any way to make a toggle-button from this setting?

The 2nd from top (Skylight shadow quality) - if sufficiently high, could make the static and dynamic SSO indistinguishable in many cases. I’m curious why you see 90%, not 100% quality of dynamic vs static after disabling the degradation. Maybe raising that slider would help.

Yes, with a script:
DynamicSkylightShadowDegradationTOGGLE.rvb (2.5 KB)
(save on your HD and drag-and-drop into Rhino vport to install. The command DynamicSkylightShadowDegradationTOGGLE should become available to toggle and can be used as a macro on a button. Note this script will only work when no other commands are running (can’t toggle while in other command)

hth,

–jarek

1 Like

Thanks Jared, script will become a button.
Still getting the moire effects, but I’m starting to think maybe McNeel could be forgiven for passing (or at least sharing) the buck to other players in the pipeline. These moire effects persist even in still images, and I’m guess might be a result of the scaling/quantized steps involved in the model-mesh/rendering/monitor-resolution. Interesting that the effect is most noticeable in Arctic mode, and wonder if it would be possible to expose more granular control in -maybe just one custom mode- to try and fine-tune these effects. Meanwhile, I better get some work done!
Thanks for the help :kissing_heart:

ps Skylight shadow quality has no effect here…

the difference left between static and dynamic you see is due to dynamic having no AA. I’m not sure if that is possible, but I will ask.
Edit: The answer is no.

2 Likes

Thanks for looking…