Disappearing mouse bug

There is a reoccurring bug that I do not know how to make reoccur on demand. I will be doing some sort of process with a tool, and then when finished the mouse will be completely gone until I click outside the Rhino environment onto the desktop, then the mouse will be back when I click back into the Rhino environment. For example, I just scaled some meshes. Mouse disappeared once the scale was complete, then I click outside, then click back in, and the mouse is back. But if I undo the process then re-do it won’t be gone. It has happened with meshes, surfaces and curves. It really seems inconsistent. Also it has been happening through the last several versions, if not a bit longer.

-carter

(Marlin Prowell) #2

This is a problem other users have had, and it has always been caused by a buggy Wacom tablet driver. Do you have a Wacom device?

Try unplugging the device, updating the driver, or restarting in Safe Mode (which disables device drivers) to see if the problem …uhh… disappears.

It is quite true about the buggy wacom driver. unfortunately When I contacted wacom they said they couldn’t recreate the problem and sent me an older driver to try. Same thing. If you command tab through your apps,the mouse will reappear. A pain, but it works.

same problem here - It’s very annoying - every 3-4 minutes cursor disappears. Switch out from app via cmd-tab and back solves the problem temporarily. Intuos4 L, latest drivers

Same problem on my old MBP - mouse only, wacom driver was never installed.

I do not have a Wacom tablet. never have. I have a Logitech G4 mouse, that I have had for years without any issues. I updated its driver, which caused a nice mid-startup freeze after installing, but did not resolve the issue.

carter

I don’t use a tablet and I have the same problem.

Caused mainly by line/polyline command

(Marlin Prowell) #9

For those who are having this problem, please do two things:

1. Post your hardware and software settings. Select Rhinoceros > Preferences > OpenGL in the menu, click the Copy to clipboard button, and post the results here.

2. Restart your computer in Safe Mode and run Rhino. Does the mouse still disappear?

Hi Marlin,

Here is my information:

Software information

Software versions
Rhinoceros version: 5.0 Wenatchee 2013-08-23 (476)
OS X version: Version 10.8.4 (Build 12E55)

Plug-ins
None

Hardware information

Computer hardware
Hardware model: Macmini5,2
Processor: Intel Core i5-2520M CPU @ 2.50GHz
Memory: 16 GB
Architecture: Intel 64 bit

Video hardware
Graphics: AMD Radeon HD 6630M 256 MB
Screen size: 1920 x 1200
Displays: Cinema HD

USB devices
Logitech: G9x Laser Mouse
Apple, Inc: Apple Keyboard
Apple Computer, Inc.: Apple Cinema HD Display
Apple Inc.: Bluetooth USB Host Controller
Western Digital : External HDD
Apple Computer, Inc.: IR Receiver

Bluetooth devices
None

OpenGL information

OpenGL software
OpenGL version: 2.1 ATI-1.8.18
Render version: 2.1
Shading language: 1.20
Maximum texture size: 16384 x 16384
Z-buffer depth: 24 bits
Maximum viewport size: 16384 x 16384

Implementation settings
Use texture compression: No

Appearance settings
Antialiasing: None
Mip map filtering: None
Anisotropic filtering: None

ok. so here is the same copy paste with the mac in safe mode. i could not get the mouse to disappear, but the whole computer is just ridiculously slow. lots of lagging, flashing, ghosting, etc. opening a new textedit document took about 25 seconds. no kidding. so although i could not replicate the bug, which maybe is a good thing, my patience wore out after about 25 minutes of getting almost nothing done on the computer due to it’s slowness. i thought safe mode sped things up? maybe that is an old train of thinking?

the only differences that i see are that in safe mode the OpenGL version is Apple, and normally it is ATI, and then the order of USB devices is different, albeit the same devices. I didn’t do anything but start up in Safe Mode.

(Marlin Prowell) #12

Safe Mode prevents third party extensions from loading, and also disables some of Apple’s extensions. It, as you discovered, replaced the hardware OpenGL driver with one that is completely software based. That would certainly slow down Rhino, but I do not know why that would slow down TextEdit.

Since the cursor did not disappear during your Safe Mode session, I suspect the mouse disappearance is due to some third party extension that is interfering with Rhino. The Wacom extension is the only culprit I know of so far, but it looks like you have another.

In your System Preferences panel, what third party preference panes do you have in the row at the bottom labelled Other?

Not just TextEdit, but absolutely everything was crazy slow. Mission control was even taking many seconds to open and close. TextEdit was the example I used, as normally it’s a pretty quick thing to open and load.

There are three extensions at the bottom of the preferences panel.
-Flip4Mac WMV (Incredibly outdated. Wow. I am going to uninstall, at least until I might need it again, which I don’t think I will.)
-Logitech Control Center (which is new since you mentioned the bug with the Wacom tablet)
-Perian(which IS up to date).

I will first test with just the outdated Flip4Mac removed.

Carter

It happens to me from time to time as well. Totally intermittent. Never installed Wacom drivers. Changes video cards and happened with the old and the new for as long as I can remember. Sorry, but I have not observed any coincidences or repeatably (though such may exist) I run VirtualBox at the same time regularly, but “I think” it has happened when Vbox is not running too. I just wiggle the mouse or jam it over to the dock and it comes back. It is a BT mouse. I have only observed this behavior on my Mac when in Rhino. For me it is not too much of a nuisance - infrequent enough and my curser always returns after the “wiggle.”

Sys Pref Third Party Panes:

• Flash Player
  • Java 7
  • Xmarks for Safari

Software information

Software versions
OS X version: Version 10.8.4 (Build 12E55)

Plug-ins
None

Hardware information

Computer hardware
Hardware model: MacPro3,1
Processor: Intel Xeon CPU E5462 @ 2.80GHz
Memory: 8 GB

Video hardware
Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce GT 120 512 MB
Screen size: 2560 x 1600
Displays: Cinema HD

USB devices
Apple Computer, Inc.: Apple Cinema HD Display
CPS: CP 1350C

Bluetooth devices
Cambridge Silicon Radio: MX1000 Mouse
Broadcom: Apple Wireless Keyboard

OpenGL information

OpenGL software
OpenGL version: 2.1 NVIDIA-8.12.47 310.40.00.05f01
Maximum texture size: 8192 x 8192
Maximum viewport size: 8192 x 8192

Implementation settings

Appearance settings

So, after seeing the ancient un-updated video component Flip4Mac, I decided to dig around a wee bit. I found a couple of Wacom Launch Agents in my System Library’s Launch Agents folder:
“com.wacom.pentablet.plist”
“com.wacom.wacomtablet.plist”

Very odd as I have not had a Wacom tablet for years and years. Makes me think that a clean re-install is in order.
Maybe this is helpful in identifying the Wacom conflict as I really don’t think I have any other Wacom anything on this computer.

I have removed them and will report if the bug is still around.

-carter

Same issue here -

Seems to show up mostly when I get a tool specification dialog box while hovering over the 3d viewport. mousing up to menubar or anyplace that would change the mouse cursor then back seems to make it visible again. Pretty annoying, though easy to fix.

Software information

Software versions
OS X version: Version 10.8.5 (Build 12F37)

Plug-ins
None

Hardware information

Computer hardware
Hardware model: MacBookAir6,1
Processor: Intel Core i7-4650U CPU @ 1.70GHz
Memory: 8 GB

Video hardware
Graphics: Intel HD Graphics 5000 1024 MB
Screen size: 1366 x 768
Displays: Color LCD

USB devices

Bluetooth devices
None

OpenGL information

OpenGL software
OpenGL version: 2.1 INTEL-8.16.74
Maximum texture size: 16384 x 16384
Maximum viewport size: 16384 x 16384

Implementation settings

Appearance settings

(Marlin Prowell) #17

carterskemp mentioned finding remnants of Wacom drivers from long ago on his system. Do you have anything that looks like it might be from Wacom in /System/Library/LaunchAgents or in /Library/LaunchAgents ?

although haven’t completely reinstalled system yet, all odd wacom-ness has been definitively removed.

I haven’t used rhino much since these postings, but I opened up a file this morning and it is still happening. This time I am working on a file with just flat 2D line-work. Specifically: copying, rotating, and mirroring. When the mouse disappeared the last command listed was '_Rotate.

Carter

(Marlin Prowell) #19

To help understand what is happening, I want to define some terms so we are all speaking the same language. Since I cannot duplicate what I think you are describing, I need to know more.

Mouse - that’s the thing on your desk. It never disappears. 8^) I need to know the make and model of your mouse, and I need to know if you have installed any third party mouse drivers. If you have, does your problem persist when you uninstall the third party mouse driver? One way to check this is by booting in Safe Mode.

Hardware cursor - this is the icon drawn on the screen. It is an OS X feature, and does not “belong” to Rhino. For example, Rhino for Mac cannot change the location of the cursor like Windows Rhino can. The hardware cursor always moves exactly in sync with mouse movement. The icon might change when crossing view boundaries or when starting and stopping commands.

Rhino cursor - (I’m being a bit pedantic here) - when drawing geometry like lines, there is a second, smaller cursor inside the hardware cursor. This cursor does not stay perfectly in sync with mouse motions, but might snap to grid lines or to a nearly object snap. When the hardware cursor moves far enough away from the snap point, then the Rhino cursor will catch up with the hardware cursor.

Other input devices - If you are using a tablet, of course we need to know that. If you have more than one input device plugged in, of course we need to know that.

One more note: although Rhino can never change the location of the mouse cursor on the screen, it can (and mouse drivers can) change what the icon looks like and can also hide the cursor. For example, when the cursor moves from one viewport to another, it briefly changes from what Rhino has set to a split view cursor for changing the size of viewports. Or, if you move the cursor into a dialog box, the cursor changes to an arrow.

FYI, Rhino never deliberately hides the cursor, but some combination of factors is causing this to happen.

So, in light of the definitions above, is the hardware cursor disappearing, or is the Rhino cursor disappearing?

When the cursor disappears, what was happening at that time? Was the cursor crossing a viewport boundary? Did you just finish a command, but the cursor was always clearly inside a single viewport? Remember that this is only happening occasionally for you (and never for me) so there is some edge condition that you are triggering to make this happen. Try to observe and figure out what that edge condition is.

Third party mouse drivers let you customize a lot of behavior and that may interfere with Rhino. What happens if you uninstall the third party mouse driver and use Apple’s built in mouse driver?

hey marlin,
I’ve been experiencing the same problem for a while now, specifically when I switched to OS X and a new computer about a year ago. It happens a lot, every few minutes. Even though I’ve been trying discern a pattern to the phenomenon, all I can say with certainty that it occurs when a command is activated. The cursor reappears immediately when a function outside of Rhino gets used (my favorite remedy is to use one of Missions Control’s hot corners).
From your description it sounds to me as if its a problem with the hardware cursor: even though the cursor is invisible, it is still possible to select, deselect, or perform any other actions as though the cursor were visible. Even smart snaps appear if the invisible cursor passes an appropriate area. No cursor is visible however.
BTW: I do not, and never have, owned a WACOM device. I use a Razer Deathadder mouse, but the cursor disappears with other mice as well, including Apple’s Magic Mouse.

Hope this helps to shed some light on this issue.

n