Disappearing icons in Grasshopper - 5.4.2


(qythium) #1

Since upgrading to the latest Rhino 5.4.2 for Mac, Grasshopper icons are disappearing for all components besides the built in ones.

This happens after a delay of 10-15 minutes after startup. Components already on the canvas retain their icon but newly copied/created ones or newly opened files all get blank icons on plugin components.

image

I tried removing all traces of external plugins from the Libraries and UserObjects folders, but the problem still occurs with GHpython (which seems to be the only built-in component affected). Also tried toggling the COFF loading settings and rebooting, but no luck.

Any idea what may be causing this?


(Dan Belcher) #2

Unfortunately, I’m not seeing this behavior on my machine.

Are you able to reproduce this with 5.4.1? I’d like to ascertain first if this is a regression from 5.4.1 to 5.4.2.

I’d love to hear from anyone else who is seeing this (or unseeing, I guess).


(qythium) #3

I had something like this happen once or twice on 5.4.1, but only very rarely and after GH had been running in the backgroud continuously for many hours/days. Now it happens very consistently a short while after startup, which is why I thought it was linked to the update somehow.

How do I get 5.4.1 version back? The Rhino website doesn’t let me download an old version. And honestly it’s not such a big deal in exchange for reduced number of crashes, I might just try doing a clean reinstall if it comes to that.


(Dan Belcher) #4

I’d be curious to hear whether or not it is a regression between 5.4.1 and 5.4.2. Please test out 5.4.1 and see if you can consistently repeat the behavior.

Thanks again for reporting it. Certainly odd behavior.


(qythium) #5

Okay weird, now I’m getting the same behaviour in 5.4.1 with external plugins, although for some reason the Ghpython component is not affected.
(btw the link above was to the wrong file)

Also unrelated but another GH Mac bug while I have your attention here :upside_down_face: Value List values (set by Python script) report being "None"


(Dan Belcher) #6

Whoops, sorry, fixed that link. Glad you figured it out and tested in 5.4.1. This is very odd behavior. Can you please provide some additional information? Navigate to Rhinoceros > About Rhinoceros > More info… > Copy to clipboard and paste the content back into a reply here.

If anyone else is seeing this behavior, please let us know.

unrelated but another GH Mac bug

I don’t want to cross the streams, so to speak :wink:


(qythium) #7

Hi Dan, here are my system details:

Software information

Software versions
Rhinoceros version: 5.4.2 (5E411)
Rhinoceros path: /Applications/Rhinoceros.app
IronPython version: 5.1.2015.131
Language: en-SG (MacOS default)
macOS version: Version 10.13.4 (Build 17E202)

Plug-ins
/Library/Frameworks/3DconnexionClient.framework/Versions/A/3DconnexionClient

Third party kernel extensions
com.displaylink.driver.DisplayLinkDriver (4.0.0 (85514)) 5A240BCF-1B8D-3A9E-B21B-B12D639AC9D9
com.3dconnexion.driver (10.5.2) 23F2462E-B272-3BBC-A8DC-BEE242EE3FA7
com.intel.kext.intelhaxm (6.0.1) 8FF2C637-0A5E-367E-B007-5B08655B1E8A
ch.tripmode.TripModeNKE (2.0.0) D637B8E3-E64B-3C60-9D43-87F8583B05AC
com.kensington.trackballworks.driver (1.3.0) 598CF9DF-CC79-34D9-B2DA-C63E7516FD0A

Hardware information

Computer hardware
Hardware model: MacBookPro9,1
Processor: Intel Core i7-3820QM CPU @ 2.70GHz
Memory: 16 GB
Architecture: Intel 64 bit

Video hardware
Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce GT 650M 1024 MB
Memory: 1024 MB
Screen size: 1680 x 1050, 1200 x 1920
Displays: Color LCD (129dpi 1x), DELL U2410 (94dpi 1x)

USB devices
Apple Inc.: FaceTime HD Camera (Built-in)
Apple Inc.: Apple Internal Keyboard / Trackpad
Apple Computer, Inc.: IR Receiver
Apple Inc.: Bluetooth USB Host Controller

Bluetooth devices
None

OpenGL information

OpenGL software
OpenGL version: 2.1 NVIDIA-10.30.25 355.11.10.10.30.120
Render version: 2.1
Shading language: 1.20
Maximum texture size: 16384 x 16384
Z-buffer depth: 24 bits
Maximum viewport size: 16384 x 16384

Implementation settings
Use texture compression: No

Appearance settings
Antialiasing: 2x
Mip map filtering: None
Anisotropic filtering: Low

Although I have a sneaking feeling that this one might be due to poking around in system files, including looking inside the Rhinoceros.app bundle. ( pretty sure I didn’t modify anything there )

Might this somehow be related to the Mono framework? I recently installed several C# and F# development plugins along with a new editor, and it looks like the folder
/Library/Frameworks.Mono.framework
was updated in the last few weeks, although I can’t be sure if it was by the 5.4.2 update or something else.
Here’s what I get from the terminal running mono --version

~$ mono --version
Mono JIT compiler version 5.10.1.47 (2017-12/8eb8f7d5e74 Fri Apr 13 20:18:12 EDT 2018)
Copyright (C) 2002-2014 Novell, Inc, Xamarin Inc and Contributors. www.mono-project.com
	TLS:           normal
	SIGSEGV:       altstack
	Notification:  kqueue
	Architecture:  amd64
	Disabled:      none
	Misc:          softdebug
	Interpreter:   yes
	LLVM:          yes(3.6.0svn-mono-master/8b1520c8aae)
	GC:            sgen (concurrent by default)

(Dan Belcher) #8

It should not be. Rhino for Mac embeds its own version of Mono in the application bundle and does not use those installed in the system’s library.

Thanks for your system info.

It’s a stretch, but a couple of those kernel extensions are unfamiliar to me. You might try booting to macOS’s Safe Mode and see if the problem persists without those extensions loaded.