Disabling Gumball scaling

I love the Gumball. It is a really good tool for moving things around and nesting parts into tight spaces but… I really think that one should have an option to disable scaling. I have to check very carefully when I try to move something that I don’t inadvertently grab a scale handle. The problem is that just a little nudge and the part is messed up. There is no way of telling that this has happened unless one draws very carefully. I draw extremely fast and I move things around very quickly so the risk i very high. I think that one should have options to enable or disable the various features of the Gumball

1 Like

Yes - I have definitely asked for this before as well…

Edit: I would say something like right-click on any handle and get a popup menu lock/unlock - this handle or all. Can also apply to rotate and move… Gray out locked handles so it’s obvious they’re locked.

–Mitch

Yes I agree. I really love the tool but it is just too dangerous to use when you draw fast.

hi all,

I still would like to see an option in the Gumball options to enable/disable scale/rotate/move. Many times I work on stuff that only requires translation, or only requires rotation. and I see myself accidentally clicking gumball controls I do not intend to use. Same happens when I’m adding Sub-selections: I want to click on some extra faces to add to my selection and instead I click the scale square of the gumball.

Thanks,

G

5 Likes

Yes, I would like to able to disable scale handles manually.

1 Like

hear hear

How many votes does this feature cost? …asking for all my friends.

2 Likes

Been asking for years, so unfortunately not expecting miracles…

Got it this time, thanks all.

RH-59455 Gumball: Disable scaling handles

-Pascal

2 Likes

Rotate too please! We are getting greedy now, wanting 2 for 1 wishes :crazy_face:

My laser-like logic was way out ahead of you when I typed up the request…

-Pascal

I figured if we ask for two as a starting negotiating point we might actually get one. Brian is a thought dealer we have to come in high :rofl:

@gustojunk - would it be OK if you have to go into Options every time to change this? Context of my question is, I gathered from some comments that this is more of an immediate, on the fly change that you all would like to make but this comment suggests Options is OK and Mikko points out that you can set scale handles to 0 now to make them go away. We are arm-wrwestling over whether that is a good enough solution…

-Pascal

hi Pascal, for all I know this feature being stored away in options might already exist, and guess what? I would never use it. Too much friction.

This is my final offer:

What do you think?

G

1 Like

Yep, just like I pictured it… thanks for the ear full.

-Pascal

…I see myself more as ‘The Developer Whisperer’

3 Likes

Why is this only being implemented in Version 7?

We need it in 6

Please…pretty please…pretty please with a cherry on top…OK, a nut…oh hell…a whole sack full off nuts!

McNeel needs to stay in business. We need them to stay in business. So let’s all support them by buying upgrades, Please…pretty please…pretty please with a cherry on top.

Keep in mind all other 3D software doesn’t even let you exchange files between different versions, forcing users to upgrade if one user/customer in their work circle upgrades. Here your only soft push to upgrades is new functionality, I think McNeel only putting new features in new versions of the software is extremely reasonable.

What do you think?

G

1 Like

i don’t mind giving McNeel any of my money, best support and best modeling swiss army knife there is!

I haven’t read all the posts above.

It is possible to disable Gumball scaling by setting the Gumball Scale handle size to 0