Dimensioning over layouts

I’m almost sure that there was a way to dimension in layouts in a way that you don’t need to open the detail and draw dimensions in viewport, but dimension over the layout page and still have the dimensions adhere to the “real” scale as if you are dimensioning inside the viewport.
Am I mistaken? Maybe I was using a script in the past. Does Rhino actually allow you to do this?

Hi Toshe -

Yes, that is the recommended workflow for created annotated drawings in Rhino.
-wim

1 Like

Of course!
If I actually used my small-scale annotation style I’ve would’ve seen that it annotates the 1:1 scale in viewport.
Thank you and sorry for the bother.

if i have perspective or isometric view dimensions seem to be off and not true. does this work only when dimensioning on perpendicularly projected objects?

1000 is correct
dimension was added in layout space not model space

i just doubleclicked detail view changed to perspective and dimension jumped to this position with incorrect value

now o try to dimension in model space and then “changespace”

changespace

this seems like not expected behaviour or am i doing something wrong?

• note: angle dimensions are crazy as well

Hi Ivan -

Yes.
-wim

I assume that there is simple formula behind it which just multiplies layout dimension with detail view scale. the dimension probably does not really take the values in reference to the actual geometry in model space.
i guess it would be useful it the latter was the case when dimensions would be true in any type of view.
for example when i dimensione the angle i actualy picked edges of the cube so rhino has the information which edges i want to get angle from and it should give me correct angle 90degrees.

what is your opinion?

1 Like

I was investigating the same issue. It would be sweet to have layout dimensions showing correct numbers when snapping to the 3D view.

Maybe some copying and pasting in the visually “the same” place from the model view into a layout and overwriting the text will be possible and enough as a workaround for now.

On the other hand, lines of dimensions placed in the 3D view align with the perspective and they look better. If placed on the layout, they should be somewhat skewed to follow perspective lines. Things get complicated pretty quickly.