DIG : Rhino models/scene setup for Architectural Illustrations

Hi All,

I thought I’d share some of our architectural illustration work here. Rhino is a key part of our process where all the models get created or imported into for cleanup, detailing, full camera, scene, and entourage setup. The final renderings are done with Vray for 3DMax with Photoshop post-production. I am attaching a Rhino model screenshot for each final illustration.

–jarek

/// www.dig.gallery

38 Likes

Very nice collection of architectural visualizations. Great work Jarek!

This is a wonderful work Jarek!!!
Thank you for sharing it.

Do you convert to meshes anything outside the main building to speed up the work in the .3dm file?
Or is the surroundings consisted of breps too?

I like it, great work Jarek!

Very Cool.

So, if I understood correctly all the models are modeled in Rhino (converted in mesh) and imported in 3DS Max for visualization?

hi djordje,

thanks – the scenes are mix of meshes and breps (architecture) - depending of if it was modeled in Rhino from scratch or imported from some other software (Revit, SketchUp) and detailed. But the entourage elements (cars, people, trees etc.) are all meshes, most of them block instances/vray proxy objects. That definitely helps with the speed and keeping large scenes manageable.

–jarek

hi Uros,

Yes, all is modeled and populated in Rhino (mix of meshes, curves and nurbs) and then exported as mesh into Max just for rendering in Vray. The Vray for Max has always been ahead of Rhino version and also Max has some more advantages with managing the complex scenes output files for postproduction.

–jarek

Hi Jarek.
I agree with you, V-Ray in 3DS Max is always ahead. And it is also easier to texture models in Max. I use the same approach also. But I have problems with the camera. How do you set-up camera in the same position as in Rhino?

Thanks

Hi Uros,

for the camera match, technically you can just type the same camera/target/lens values from Rhino Vport Properties to 3DSMax camera. But - it is tedious, and will not guarantee a ‘perfect match’ if certain conditions are not met (I mean: the camera angle will be exactly same, but rendered/capture image from Rhino and Max may not overlap pefecty).

See this thread for some more explanation of how to make this work (my last post):

I am also attaching a rhp of just the Rhino to Max camera exporter that was a part of the RATTools I released very long time ago, in case anyone finds that useful.

best,

–jarek

RhinoViewsToMAXCameras.rhp (36.5 KB)

Thanks!

1 Like

Really nice work Jarek. Could you post some raw renders? It would be useful to see how much work goes into post.

Thank you for the reply Jarek.
Keep up the great work!

Hi @Murren,

Sure, here are 2 raw renderings before post work from the samples above:

Thanks @Jarek. Those raws look good too.

Tremendous work, congratulations !

WOWWWW WONDERFUL !!!
Is there a need to learn 3D Max in order to use it for V-ray purpose ?
What kind of file do you export from Rhino to 3DMax?
What is Breps?

great work!
just a question, the tree used in the model are from a library? have they got a material texture already map on?
I’ve used for a little job Land Design (a wip freeware plugin for rhino) but if I insert many tree the file became early too heavy to set and render in maxwell render…

thanks for any answer and sorry for my english :slight_smile:

Hey illo,

From memory you can copy the tree and you get an lighter ‘instance’.

Please test it yourself; it’s been a while since I used landsdesign but I recall testing it with Octane and observing that tree’s placed using the tree placement tool added several MB memory consumption for each additional tree placed whereas each copy & paste tree added almost no additional MB memory…

Let me know if it doesn’t work and I’ll find my project file and confirm the workflow…

For Maxwell render, use scene references.
See for example: Instances with Maxwell Render and Rhino - from about 9 min into the video.