New at Rhino here : How to handle "thousand million" poly models and distibute trees?

Hi there guys.

As the title says…Im new at Rhinoceros and i’d like to know if is possible to handle lots and lots of high poly models with the program without slowing down or freezing my computer.

I am an advanced SketchUp user and probably you may know that SketchUp won’t handle high poly models so i’d like to give a try to Rhinoceros.

The main purpose of using Rhino is for architectural visualization, and for this is necesary to use soooo many high poly models like trees,plants,grass,cars…Etc ,etc. and that is why i want to try Rhino.

I’d also like to know if there is a way to spread objects in different surfaces, something like to create a forest ( to model a mountain and attach the tree models to it with different scales,rotations and objects and so on ).

Thank you in advance for your help.

Cheers

I haven’t tried this myself but you might want to have a look at this:

Hi siemen.

Thank you for the reply and the suggestion. :+1: But Lumion is not what i am looking for , i want to learn Rhino to use it with Arion Render ( Sorry , i forgot to mention it in the beginning ). Lumion is not good enought for what my clients ask, maybe next versions :grinning:

Thank you again Sir.

Something like this?

Exactly! That is what i am looking for! Is possible with Rhino ? In SketchUp there is a plugin called “Make Fur”, All you have to do is selec a surface , then select the models , asign rotatiom,scale percentage of population and voila ! The problem is that SketchUp does not support high poly models so…impossible to use a Xfrog or Evermotion tree inside SketchUp. That is why i am here :slight_smile:

I’m afraid you’ll have to dig through those posts for specifics about achieving those results as I don’t do such work, I just recalled that it could be done and knew what to search for.

Well ,after spending a while trying Rhino i must say that i made a test…i imported a high poly model of a tree (an .Obj 218 Mb size ) and it was kinda slow to handle , i mean …it took some seconds to make a copy, to scale it , to rotate it and stuff so…i’d like to know how handle all that kind of heavy files without running slow.

I am running an Intel I7 5960X.
64 Gb RAM
Nvidia GTX TITAN X 12GB

I don’t think is a harware problem…could it be?

Well, if you want to manage large polygon models blocks are your…well only mechanism for managing that.

Rhino 6 is much better than earlier versions at handling huge models, especially if you have decent hardware like you have. It’s still almost completely lacking in any specific orientation towards what you want to do, it’s frankly simply made for completely different tasks. I think someone might be working on a plugin for that kind of thing…but as you can see, in the Gallery examples, they used Rhino, V-ray, and Max to do those.

Handling files with huge number of heavy objects and scattering/distributing these objects are two separate (but related) problems. Rhino is definitely capable of the 1st one, the 2nd one currently can be only done with some custom scripting or Grasshopper. There is RhinoNature plugin “in the works” but it will probably be a while before it is released/production ready.

For rendering, you definitely need to look at blocks that contain simplified geometry, and for rendering, use of Proxy objects of heavy meshes that load only in render time… Rhino does not have proxies by default, they are offered specifically by render engines, like Vray.

@JimCarruthers - in the gallery examples, all of the models including massive amounts of entourage elements, are created and distributed in Rhino, but with use of some custom in-house scripted tools, so while possible, it is not easy workflow with vanilla Rhino.

I wrote a long-ish post regarding methods to handle heavy files in Rhino a while ago, perhaps it could be of some help for you:

Best,

–jarek

@Kgon you may check now Rhino Nature Released