Deriving parametric surface using mathematical equation

(Parametriccuriosity) #1

Hello
I was exploring minimal surfaces and came across various types of minimal surfaces that have been researched by scientists before. One of them is Bour’s surface and I got to learn about its coordinates equation for internet link given below.
http://mathworld.wolfram.com/BoursMinimalSurface.html

Though I have got points that approximate the boundary curves, But how to derive surface from these points is still a challenge. Maybe I need another equation in terms of U and V or the information I have is sufficient to derive the surface. Any help would be appreciated. I am attaching the initial file I have worked on. Thank you.

BOUR’S SURFACE.gh (11.1 KB)

0 Likes

Parametriccuriosity

Parametriccuriosity.gh (19.1 KB)

7 Likes

(IVELIN PEYCHEV) #3

@Mahdiyar, How did you create that video?

0 Likes

By animating the slider.
CameraCrane for controlling the camera.
Bulk Image Converter for converting image files from BMP to JPG.
AfterEffects for creating Image Sequence animation.

3 Likes

(Laurent Delrieu) #5

And just to add a more “GH” way, you could use Daniel Piker images to GIF

1 Like

(IVELIN PEYCHEV) #6

Thanks @Mahdiyar, @laurent_delrieu, :slight_smile: I actually knew this method but I thought it’s something fancier that I did not know about.

0 Likes

(Parametriccuriosity) #7

you can also check horster plugin for grasshopper. It is a nice and simple tool to generate animation like those too.

1 Like

(Parametriccuriosity) #8

Thanks a lot Mahdiyar. I think problem with me was to understand math behind it. Your script made it clear both in terms of mathematical logic and process to do it in grasshopper. What I understood is that domain for this surface is sphere that is one variable and radius as another.

0 Likes

(Parametriccuriosity) #9

0 Likes

(Seghier khaled) #10

don’t forget to enable interpolate

and if you want more control (u,v points number)

Parametriccuriosity 2.gh (22.2 KB)

This also will help you :
Math surfaces from http://www.co-de-it.com/wordpress/code/grasshopper-code

2 Likes