Decal gets covered by metal material

If I use the metal material as a base, the .png decal gets invisible.
Plastic, paint and plaster material seem to work well. Gem and glass get some strange results, but metal completely covers it.
I’m seeing this in rendered preview but the same thing happens if I try and render the thing.

It also occurs when I use .jpg.
Tnx

Hello - yep, I know… this is because the decal takes on the reflectivity and transparency of the base material. I think there is a bug item for this, but if not I will add one. You can get somewhat better results if you change the metal material type to ‘Custom’ and reduce the reflectivity.

-Pascal

1 Like

There indeed is a bug item for it - for Raytraced I think the current plan is to keep decals diffuse. There seems to be confusion about how the decals should be interpreted. The original idea is the current way, but I think that based on feedback from users this might be changed to what appears to the general.

I couldn’t find the specific decal on metal/glass/paint/plastic item through the public YouTrack interface, @BrianJ can probably find it easily. The Raytraced item is RH-45742

hmm, what I would do in such a case is to make the logo/label on another surface. I don’t know, just a thought. I don’t use rendering that often but I see labels on bottles as separate objects, so I would model them this way.

1 Like

@jesterking - there is this: https://mcneel.myjetbrains.com/youtrack/issue/RH-29010

Currently it is not public, I don’t know whether there is a reason for that or whether it’s just an oversight…

-Pascal