Deactivate the polygon mesh in the shaded view (with picture)

any sense of when this might be released? This problem is making rhino so much less pleasant.

Hi all- As far as I can tell, the behavior in SR 6 is much like V4. The example posted by ATH with over a thousand faces still takes a long time on my boxā€¦ as it does in V4. Any new examples of bad (as distinct from slow) results that you-all can post or send, weā€™d be happy to test before we let SR6 out the door- it would not hurt.

-Pascal

Attached is a small test fileā€¦

ā€“Mitch

MAF-12-Fail.3dm(1020.9 KB)

Hi Mitch- there are a few places where the side of a building is it planar but otherwise it seems like it works.

-Pascal
MAFFail_SeptSR6.3dm(687.4 KB)

I am ready to try it!

OK, if everything stays closed then itā€™s great, itā€™s doing exactly what it should do - ignore the ā€œalmost planarā€ stuff that it canā€™t merge without opening up the edges.

Look forward to testing the new version here.

Thx, --Mitch

@pascal

has there ever been an attempt at a close polysurface holes command? or repair all naked edges for polys? it seems unfortunate to have to do all that stuff in mesh world.

Yeah, it would be great to have a semi-automatic ā€œstitching/healingā€ command like some of the solid modelersā€¦

ā€“Mitch

Yeah- the problems are much more straightforward, I think, for meshes. Weā€™ve had a couple of test commands from time to time I think that were shots at this, but if you think what has to be done- it might be simple enough in simple or special cases but for arbitrary cases that might be quite complexā€¦ I mean, I donā€™t know the ins and outs of what is required myself, but you can imagine that surfaces would need to be untrimmed and re-intersected, re-trimmed, things like that- simply moving edges around (as with JoinEdge) without also adjusting the underlying surfaces themselves,does not do unless the goal is only to get a closed mesh.

On a mesh, if you move edges and vertices around, you are moving the mesh itself, not some imposed set of curves or points for which tolerances come into play and so on.

-Pascal

I asked in another thread but did not hear backā€¦ do you know if MergeAllFaces has been improved in the latest update? (5.5b)

Hi ATH - no. 5.5 is only a very minor change to allow Bongo2 to work better- zero other changes.

-Pascal

well, bongo seems to be working, I can confirm that.