Datasmith + twinmotion + radio 8 + wip

Hi,

Has anyone managed to work with datasmith plugin with rhino WIP on Mac.

Im trying to install plugin for WiP version to sync it with Twinmotion

Hi Cezary -

What happens when you try this?
-wim

I have been using (learning) the Datasmith Twinmotion in/out workflow for about 2 months. It is starting to fall into place lately with my latest project but takes a sort of different mindset than other rendering options.

The water and sky depiction is stunning and there are lots of ā€˜cannedā€™ 3d objects that can be added to the model once in TM. Material definitions that take a while to get used to when going from Rhino to TM but hang in there and I will continue to give my take on TM as I plod through this project. This boat design is for the Puget Sound area and I wanted to add an Orca to sort of geotag the environment and I couldnā€™t find an asset in the TM libraries for a real Orca but under the Pool Toys folder in the libraries I found this inflatable Orca toy that was even better for my renders. The Washington State flag was also in the libraries and it even animates blowing in the wind in the video output. Lots of potential with TM but like I said it takes a certain mindset to make it work for your workflow. Here is an early import from the project in Rhino via Datasmith that I just started a couple of hours ago. Check out the seagull landing on the foredeck right out of the in app libraries!

in rhino 7 there is a new toolbar called Datasmith, in rhino 8 nothing new, nothing is installing, at first I have a pop up that plugin installedā€¦ restart rhinoā€¦ files are visible in ā€œapplication supportā€-> MacPlugins folder on Mac as .rhp

the install file is .macrhi

Hi Cezary -
In Rhino 8, when you go to the plug-in manager, does the plug-in show up in the list? Do the commands work when typed on the command line?
-wim

Unfortunately no and no.

This is the plugin Iā€™m trying to install: Twinmotion Datasmith Exporter plugin for Rhino - Twinmotion
it works with rhino 7, but Iā€™m trying to use it with WIP

So I tried a couple of the datasmith commands in Rhino 8 WIP (installed the datasmith plugin for rhino 7) and while the direct link and auto sync did not work, the DatasmithExport command worked and I was able to import my Rhino 8 scene into Twinmotion. Also making changes in Rhino and then re-exporting worked perfectly fine. So it seems like its rather a development issue on Epicā€™s side.

Has anyone experienced issus with the Datasmith toolbar? Since the installation of the Rhino 8 Beta the toolbar can no longer be activated or found.

I even (sadly) rest Rhino 8 but other than removing all my custom toolbar / interface settings nothing happened.

But datasmith is shown in Plug-Ins and marked as working. But the toolbar seems to have disappeared completely.

Thatā€™s kinda sad, as it was just 1 or 2 updated (WIP) ago, that I discovered the ā€œSyncā€ nutton finally started working and I could easily exchange data between Twinmotion and Rhino.

Any idea why this is now an issue with the beta? :slight_smile:

Hi Tom -

I donā€™t know what ā€œmarked as workingā€ means.
When you select the plug-in in the Plug-In manager, you will see a list of commands in a field on the right in that dialog. Do those commands work when you type them?
-wim

Hey Wim,

Sorry for the confusion: I meant marked as ā€œloadedā€ (in the plug-in list).

The commands all seem to work fine. But no toolbar visible (unlike in Rhino 7).

Is this related to Twinmotion or something you guys might fix in the future?

Thanks a lot for you quick reply.

Cheers,

Tom

Hi Tom -

I would try to make a copy of the Datasmith toolbar .rui file and manually add that to Rhino 8 by going to the Rhino Options > Appearance > Toolbars page and opening that copy .rui file. Then add the toolbar it provides to a container.
-wim

2 Likes

Hey Wim,

OMG, I just realised that I completely forgot to mention that this is regarding MacOS. I have not issues whatsoever witht he Windwos version. But I couldnā€™t find the options you mentioned on Mac. Or maybe I am just blind. :wink:

Cheers,

Tom

Hi Tom -

On macOS, the place to link a toolbar .rui file is in the same place as on Windows - Options > Appearance > Toolbars. Iā€™m not sure, though, where that .rui file can be found. You might need to copy the Windows version.

Iā€™ve written up a bug report and we will take a closer look at why this toolbar isnā€™t showing automatically when installing the plug-in on macOS. If this is something that we or Twinmotion have to change, I donā€™t know.
ā†’ RH-77269 Toolbar: Plug-in toolbar does not appear
-wim

1 Like

Hey Wim, thanks again for tyour super quick reply.

The only thing I think is strange is that the toolbar seemed to be working perfetctly fine before the switch from WIP to Beta.

I also tried to add a toolbar via Options > Appearance > Toolbars - But the only thing that happend was the windows turning dark gray and beeing non-responsive. I had to press ESC to exit some kind of invisible edit mode. But I couldnā€™t type or do anything. Both happened no matter if I tried to open or create a new toolbar.

Kind regards,

Tom

Hi Tom -

I ran into that as well ā†’ RH-77268 Toolbar: Browse for RUI file
On my system, a part of the file browser was visible behind the options dialog and I had to move that options dialog out of the way to access the file browser. It sounds like, on your system, that options dialog completely covered the browser.
-wim

1 Like

the UI still donĀ“t work but it works with the commands.

-DatasmithDirectLinkSync
-DatasmithToggleAutoSync

just type in datasmith and it will show many different commands
(Rhino8 and TwinMO 2023.2)

RH-78628 is fixed in Rhino 8 Service Release 2

Hi @brian Do you have any info regarding when most recent version of Rhino 8 will accept the Datasmith install?

Thanks,

Alan

Nope, I donā€™t. Sorry.

1 Like