Cycles and Eevee?

Hi Nathan,

Hope things are going well with the Cycles to Rhino integration, I haven’t seen any new uploads to your you tube channel in a while.

I think I know the answer to this question already (the answer would be “no”), but thought I’d ask anyway because it’s on my mind.

Since blender is developing Eevee , I was wondering if this was something that could be ported over to the Cycles for Rhino once it was complete?

My gut is telling me that Eevee and Cycles are independent and that Eevee is a completely different beast that has nothing to do with Cycles. So no.

Thanks Nathan, hope you are doing well,
Ryan

1 Like

FYI @nathanletwory

You might want to take a look at the Enscape plugin for Rhino https://enscape3d.com/, the trial loads in the v6 beta too! It reminded me of the GI interior shots I was seeing with Eevee. Nice DOF and Bloom effects too.

Hi Brian,

Thank you for the link! Looks like pretty cool software. The website has very little info regarding Rhino on it. Do you know of any Rhino users that use this?

I do animations for both product and architectural markets and am wondering if enscape would also “talk” with Bongo too. Looks like more of a “live link” type of software rather than a full blown plugin. More geared for camera only movement, not object animations. Also materials – i’d still need to do photorealistic still shots which this program at the moment can’t produce. I’m wondering if it has enscape specific materials or if it could understand materials from other Rhino plugins. Interesting though . . . something to definitely investigate further . . .

Just started looking at it myself to help another user and was impressed. They’ve got a feedback button in the toolbar in Rhino that it loads. Let them know what’s missing if you like the results.

Sounds good, thanks again Brian!

Best Regards,

Ryan

The Cycles integration is going strong and doing well.

Eevee is indeed completely different from Cycles, but in theory it should be possible to integrate. That said, the problem is the license of the source code. Eevee is created under GPL, meaning that we can not legally integrate it to Rhino, not even as a separate plug-in. You can find this information in the source code here: https://developer.blender.org/diffusion/B/browse/blender2.8/source/blender/draw/engines/eevee/

/Nathan

1 Like

@Micha loves it. See some results here:

Right, the screen space render engines are very promising. I suppose so a lot of user would be happy with this kind of rendering and doesn’t need a full render engine anymore. The advantage of getting a final image within one second is very attractive. The results of Eevee are very nice too. Here an example:

And here a short Rhino camera animation done per Enscape. Something like this is done within a few minutes only.

2 Likes

Nathan ‘jesterKing’ LetworynathanletworyMcNeel

8h

The Cycles integration is going strong and doing well.

Eevee is indeed completely different from Cycles, but in theory it should be possible to integrate. That said, the problem is the license of the source code. Eevee is created under GPL, meaning that we can not legally integrate it to Rhino, not even as a separate plug-in. You can find this information in the source code here: https://developer.blender.org/diffusion/B/browse/blender2.8/source/blender/draw/engines/eevee/5

/Nathan

Thanks Nathan, very good to know, I won’t get my hopes up on Eevee then!

Ryan

Micha

6h

Right, the screen space render engines are very promising. I suppose so a lot of user would be happy with this kind of rendering and doesn’t need a full render engine anymore. The advantage of getting a final image within one second is very attractive. The results of Eevee are very nice too. Here an example:

And here a short Rhino camera animation done per Enscape. Something like this is done within a few minutes only

Cool! Thanks for sharing Micha! Yes, I agree with you, there’s still a need for BOTH a fully featured render engine as well as something more quick like this.

Sometimes my clients come to me and need an animation at the last minute and its difficult if not impossible to pull off given their time frame. This engine would of course solve that. However, I’d still need higher quality for the still shots. It would be wonderful if this engine would use materials from other Rhino Plugin’s although I understand the difficulty in doing that.

If this product got to the level of Octane and Vray, I’d be in heaven. SSS, Fresnel, etc . . .

If this engine would work with Bongo, that would really make my day as well. Even at the products current level of development I’d run to purchase it. 90% of my animations have object animation in them, so to be really useful to me it would need to work with Bongo. I could take on so many other projects it would make me look past the license scheme. Maybe I’ll fill out a request and see what they say?

Ryan

Hi Ryan,

yes, please fill out a request. Your words match my thoughts about the topic. :slight_smile:
VfR2 is my daily work horse, Octane my product animation renderer and Enscape will be my interior shots/animation/VR tool. But I miss to animate objects per Bongo for Enscape too.

-Micha

Hi Micha,

Just registered on the Enscape Forum and asked about Bongo working with Enscape along with a bunch of other questions/features for the developers.

https://forum.enscape3d.com/index.php?thread/966-rhino-general-feature-questions-and-the-future-of-enscape/

Ryan

Totally totally agree on the value this would add to the pachyderm experience. The modeling tools are excellent AND,I’m endlessly frustrated with the rendering process.