Custom Profile Walls

Is it possible to create a wall style with custom profile curve, in the way custom profiles are created for beams?

Hi @aitorleceta there is no way to create a wall from a parametric profile. But you can just extrude a profile so you generate a closed solid, and then use the vaWallFromSolid command to turn it into a wall. (You need to create a planar curve to perform as the wall path)

thanks, @fsalla. This would be a nice addition to future releases. Archicad has a nice implementation of this feature, just in case…

I need to say that you are a doing a great job with this plugin. Congrats!
saludos
aitor leceta

Thank you @aitorleceta. I’ll let you know whenever there is an improvement on that feature in future VisualARQ versions The option to create objects from custom profiles though is already available for doors, windows, beams, columns, and other object components (Railing rails, curtain wall supports, …)
Just need to create a custom profile with the “vaProfileFromCurve” command and assign it later to the corresponding object style.

1 Like

Hello,
… it doesn’t work always: windows and doors just cut the wall along the curve, which is used, when transforming the solid(s) into a wall

• it doesn’t work if curve is a polyline (than it’s not possilble to make a wall from solid) - just if its a single line or a 3. grade (or higher?) curve.
    In the shown example it won’t be possible to place a window at the other side

In this video you can chance the Style from Standard to Wall from solid

• in VA 2.0 i can’t find the option anymore - isn’t it necessary anymore?

• are there any tricks?
    Thanks a lot

Hey,
It seems like there is really no chance to have polyline as a base curve for wall from solid, but you can use a workaround here. Try to create a solid with assigned polyline. Before using the vawallfromsolid command split the wall and the polyline into separate elements!

Cheers

As @petumatr says, it is not possible to select a polyline as the wall from solid path. Only planar, open and continuous curves (with no discontinuity points) are accepted as wall paths created from solids.

In addition to the tip indicated by @petumatr you can draw a single curve that turns into the direction of the other side of the wall. Something like that:

This is just the name of the style. I created a new wall style (from the wall styles dialog: vaWallStyles) called this way for assigning all walls created from solids and differenciate them with other “regular” VisualARQ walls. Take into accont that walls from solids only get the attributes of their styles but not the rest of style parameters, such as the number of layers or their thicknesses.

1 Like

thanks a lot for the quick answers!

Creating a solid with an assigned polyline is similar to _Slab ? grafik
I often work on old bulidings with lots of different wall thicknesses and other irregular things like that.
creating a wall with an assigned polyline means creating a wall with consistent wall thickness, or?

creating a curve on the edge of the solid helps to create a defined cruve.
in this case windows and doors doesn’t align themselve - but thefore it is possible to turn them in wall, what might be interessting sometimes:

_offset the Curve to create a parallel, allows to define an exact baseline for windows and doors
now objects align always automatically

@Mail, excellent case! Just some comments on your picture.

1. You can change the automatic Cut Depth value assigned to that window to ensure it will perform an opening through the whole wall.
  2. When openings are not close enough to a wall path, they don’t get anchored to walls and “float” in the model. That means that you can rotate them freely. If you want to stil place those windows in that position, first make sure they are near to the wall path, and then change their Alignment offset.
  3. Making the original baseline curve turn into different directions, will let you control how the openings will orient through the wall path.

not a very orthodox method, but it works…

wall from profile like the beams …will be in visualarq 3 ?

Hi Jon!

I cannot assure you that currently, but since users have requested it for a long time and we are aware that it could be a great feature we will do our best to have it in VisualARQ 3.

Regards!

1 Like

Great ! thanks