Custom Cage edit

I knew that, i visited that page , which i wasn’t able to successfully do what they’ve done , but yes this is the only solution so far ( not the bare software solution) but accepted as solution , but i hope we can do this directly .

Sorry, you are right, in title i had overlooked word “Custom”.
As it is presented in the McNeel-Help, here it works pretty well.
At this stage i did not more overvalue this command.

So let’s call this WishBug with artistic holes inside cheese :innocent:.

My is the density of isocurves in UV layout.
Namely when CageEdit is applied aggain on released geometry, density increases exponentially. After the third time the structure of isocurves is waterproof. :yum:

1 Like

So it is normal here to deform a curved (Custom shape) mesh with a god RECTANGULAR cage ? since in other design standard softwares the cage can change its shape .

PreserveStructure=Yes option in CageEdit retains the original number of control points if the captured item is a curve or surface… The tradeoff is the deformation may be less accurate.

PreserveStructure=No (which may be the default) increases the number of control point to keep the accuracy of the deformation within tolerance.

PreserveStructure Specifies whether the control‑point structure of a curve or surface will be maintained after the deformation.

The PreserveStructure option does not apply to polysurfaces, and will not be displayed if polysurfaces are selected for editing.

Yes

Preserves the control‑point structure of the surface. Deformation may be less accurate if there are too few control points in on the object.

No

Refits the objects as needed with more cage control points to allow accurate deformation.

PreserveStructure=Yes (left); PreserveStructure=No (right).

1 Like

This is one of the reasons I would like to have morphs as cageedit as none destructive, so they could be edited over and over. (And have a tolerance setting so we don’t have to change the file setting if we don’t need 0.001 millimeter accuracy from the cage edit.

2 Likes

I support this request.

1 Like

Do you think :thinking:
Base:
CEY
L No <> R Y CageEdit applied 2x.
CEYx

Definitely a step forward !

I mean it’s ok, to raise at a canter an surface or closed polysurface to here and there.
The UDT package has not changed much since introduced in Rhino v4.

1 Like

im trying to understand what youre trying to say , but altair studio can also do that :neutral_face:

That is a polysurface, not a surface. The PreserveStructure option should not be displayed when the captive object is a polysurface. I already reported that there is a bug. CageEdit bug - PreserveStructure option

CEG

@eddit And the next sentence said:

Read the link.

I have read Your bug report, but build 7.10.xxx (here) and 7.12.xxx is different.
Option for PreserveStructure is here allways present, but martyred.

1 Like

Perhaps my post is not clear. Option for PreserveStructure is alway present for polysurfaces in 7.12 but does not work with polysurfaces.

1 Like

hi david
(cage edit) preserve the structure of polysurfaces.
the option must be activated (deformation = fast)
I use it this way with my polysurfaces. but I don’t know if the (precise) option should also preserve the structure! …

the concept of these three options is a bit vague. especially for an occasional user of this command.

(just a little note in parenthesis (in my experience with this command.
it does a very good job, if we put the right configuration of the cage in degree and in number of control points. depending on the complexity of the polysurfaces to modify …
one manages to obtain polysurface with perfect contunuity without needing to readjust the sub surfaces.

I really like the idea of ​​having confuguirable cages with deffirente shapes. as it was raised in this thread of discussion.
if it will be available in rhino.
for free form surfacing modelers, this command will be a super alien beast …

1 Like

It looks like there is overlap between PreserveStructure and Deformation options. I was going by the Help file and testing with Deformation=Accurate.

Agree.

Hi @pascal,

Leaving the wish of starting with customer cages aside, which is something super useful and previously asked many times… let’s focus on what’s a short-term achievable functionality:

_ExtractOriginalCagedEditedObject

Like you said, that original object exists somewhere in the file, and getting back to it would be really… half-useful. All this solves is that maybe you didn’t save a pre-caged version so Rhino can ‘restore it’ for you.

To make this completely useful, restoring the original, with the original cage also, you should be able to edit the model, in that pre-caged state, and then… use _FlowAlongCage. This would allow you to then re-deform the edited original back to its caged-edit state.

UI-wise this could be simplified with a ‘BlockEdit style’ dialog too.

In Summary: CageEdit is geometrically extremely powerful, but there’s not a good workflow to use it for anything other than last-minute destructive hacks. I think it’s time to let us use these tools more controllably.

Thanks,

Gustavo

1 Like

Hi Gustavo - You can sort of do this now - which is the crux of the OP’s complaint I think - he does not want it to do this - if you start with the original and CageEdit to a deformed cage the object will deform to the cage - the hard part, if I follow, is remembering to keep an original.

See the attached file - I edited an original of the captive object by adding fillets - you can now CageEdit and apply the cyan cage as the control object rather than make a new cage with the BoundingBox option.

Does that get at what you are after?

CageEditTest.3dm (163.0 KB)

-Pascal

1 Like

OMG! I never knew you could select an existing deformed cage! I would only look at the options inside the parentheses here, ignoring the whole SELECT part of ‘select control object’.

I’m deeply paranoid now. What else I don’t know? What else have I been missing all these years?!

thx.

G

1 Like

What took you so long? I got there years ago.

-Pascal

3 Likes

@pascal I also would like the ability to:
Deform a cage
Use the deformed cage as the control object without having the captive object immediately deformingbased on the shape of the cage object.
Modify the shape of the cage and have the captive object object change based on the changes to the cage after it became the control object.

I can do this using a curve or a surface as the control object. The curve can initially have any shape when it becomes the control object, and the captive object does not immediately deform. It only deforms after the curve being used as control object changes from it’s original shape. Surfaces as control objects work the same way.

I suspect CageEdit uses two different algorithms depending on whether the control objects are curves and surfaces, or “cages” so implementing this request may not be trivial.

Or am I missing something and it is already possible to do what I want?
A test showed that if I:
Create a cage using the Cage command,
Deform it using a command such as Bend
Start CageEdit and use the previously created Cage as the control object
The captive object immediately deforms based on the deformed shape of the Cage.

2 Likes