Creating multiple surfaces from a data tree

combined_waves.ghx (597.3 KB)
Hi,

I’ve been trying to create this structure composed of multiple surfaces, where the surface is defined by the output of an expression.

I do this by dividing a surface into points, then moving points and finally rebuilding the surface from the new points. This works, but only if i treat each surface indipendently (i.e. using one eval for each surface). What I would prefer is to merge all my surfaces and apply the same expression to all, before creating all the new surfaces. I tried everything I could find, but it never works.

Hopefully the example will make it more clear.

Thanks for any help

Can you post a GH definition of what you have so far?

Hi Martin, I just added the file to the original post. Thanks.

Ok I’m looking at it. Not sure why you saved it as *.ghx I think *.gh would be sufficient. At least on my PC *.gh opens with Rhino automatically which is not the case with *.ghx …

When using the upload button in the post editor, it always fails saying the file is of size 0, so I tried a different format just in case. In the end I used drag and drop on the editor and it worked with the ghx. Should I reupload the gh for convenience?

All you really need to do is add an Entwine component so the three points of the surfaces are kept in separate paths.

combined_waves.gh (39.9 KB)

Amazing. Thanks!

Whould the same approach work if I generated my initial surfaces using move with a series?

Not sure what that means?

Sorry I was not very clear.

Instead of creating multiple individual surfaces at the beginning, It would be convenient to create a single one and the multiply it using a series of moves. I have attached an example of what I have in mind. Again thanks for looking into this.

simplified_waves.gh (11.1 KB)

You were only missing a Shift Path component.

combined_waves.gh (39.9 KB)

Wow it worked - Thanks a lot, I had lost hope at this point.

1 Like

Thanks. Please click the solution button to mark this topic as solved :slight_smile: