Creating a 3D grid of points from a 2D grid of points while keeping the data structure

I’m trying to move/duplicate a 2D grid of points in the z direction to get a 3D grid. This time I’d like to keep their current data structure instead of just flattening and moving all the points up.

Here are a couple of examples, the first one destroys the data structure. The second one keeps it, but with group/ungroup. The thing is that when I use group/ungroup I feel like maybe I’m cheating and should be manipulating the data in another way (sets, duplicate/etc).

All my attempts to do this without group/ungroup have failed so far. Is there a way to move these points up into a 3D grid, but without using group/ungroup?

test_2d_3d_grid_data.gh (12.6 KB)

test_2d_3d_grid_data-extragraft.gh (12.3 KB)

2 Likes

Of course! Thanks very much @grbl9789
…i was over complicating it in my other tries.

1 Like

No prob. Path mapper is useful after the fact for selecting points from this grid.

If anyone can create the 3d point grid using only one construct point component (no move) I would be interested to see the solution.

1 Like

2d_3d_grids_2021_Jul6a.gh (15.2 KB)

Same code:

2d_3d_grids_2021_Jul6b.gh (12.9 KB)

2 Likes

@Joseph_Oster - i always enjoy your flavor of GH definitions. very cool, wouldn’t have thought about it this way otherwise.

…that’s like a “code golf” challenge. it would be nice to have a sheet of those.

…or a good excuse to write a c# or python component

1 Like