Creating 2D/ polyline section drawings from point cloud data

Connection 2.3dm (1.8 MB)
Hi Rhino users

I’m currently trying to create some drawings based on point cloud data i have for a historic iron truss connection detail (see attached).

Up until now I’ve been manually clipping the point cloud (e57) data before importing it to rhino and manually adusting the origin before importing in rhino - i have then been simply tracing over the x= 0 plan z = plane to create my drawings. This is quite time consuming. I’ve then been exporting the 2d drawings to dxf files.

Please could anyone let me know if

  • There is a way to adjust my 2d drawing plane to the clipping plane in rhino - this would avoid me having to manually adjust it prior to import.
  • Any tips or tricks for doing this? Any plugins that might help?

Many thanks

Ben

Hi Ben -

Turn the AutoCPlane feature on in the status bar and select the clipping plane. That will set the CPlane to that clipping plane. I tend to use the non-sticky version of AutoCPlane and have a hotkey for locking the CPlane once positioned so that I can deselect the clipping plane and have the Cplane stay put.
-wim

Thanks Wim - that’s definitely a handy feature.