Copy/paste geometry between instances of Rhino and Autocad?

Hi. Just a curious question.
I am using this script GitHub - heimlich1024/OD_CopyPasteExternal: Easily copying and pasting of geometry between 3D Applications for quickly copying meshes inbetween 3ds max and rhino. Love the idea and it works quite well!

Would it be possible to do the same for Polylines from Rhino to Autocad?

Cheers,
Anika

Hi Anika - we have added some copy/paste functionality in V7, but not DWG so far. My limited understanding is that technically this should be possible, but I have no idea when it might be added.
Does your script put the mesh on the clipboard for Paste in Autocad or does Autocad open the temp file through some other operation? In any case that script can certainly be tweaked to work on polylines, it looks like.

-Pascal

1 Like

Hi Pascal. The reference script works between 3dsmax and rhino, not autocad. How it works under the hood i dont really know though.
On the user side of things i just assign some command in 3ds/rhino to copy and paste the files.

This would be really useful to be able to copy objects in Rhino and paste into AutoCAD (and vice versa)

Any additional info since the post was made?

1 Like

It can be done by monitoring the system clipboard. Acad’s copy & paste is merely DWG data, which can be achieved by Rhino’s import/export.

Hi, what do you mean by monitoring? If i copy in AutoCAD and then try r to paste into Rhino (and vice versa) nothing happens

There would be a third-party bool, monitoring the system clipboard. When Acad’s data is found on the clipcoard, the tool would convert it to Rhino’s format, so that it can be pasted in Rhino; and vice versa.

I have no idea what a third party bool is :rofl: I am using windows 10 cut and paste clipboard. Nothing can be moved between the two programs using this method. If you could explain how you are able to achieve it I would be most grateful.

A third-party tool can do that (theoretically), but it doesn’t exist yet.

This has been on my todo list for a while. We figured out how to support the clipboard with respect to Inkscape and Illustrator. If acad does something similar with their clipboard format, we should be able to support that as well.

4 Likes

It’s merely a DWG file.

Please let us know if you make any progress on this. Thanks!

When you copy a drawing from Rhino, it is pasted into AutoCAD as image

Looks like Autocad don’t recognize the format of the file from Rhino

RH-69984 is fixed in the latest WIP

2 Likes

It is very weird sometimes it is not working when copying / pasting to AutoCAD 2023. :rofl:
But this time still can copy / paste from AutoCAD.
And what’s more, BricsCAD is working fine with this function.

Hello,

today I tried to copy & paste from rhino 8 to Autocad and it was working but now I can’t do it any more.

@stevebaer Is it possible to copy/paste curves from Rhino 8 to DWG?

This is on the list as RH-72725 Support Copy from Rhino V8, Paste into AutoCAD
-wim

1 Like