Copy paste dimensions wish

It used to be copy and pasting dimensions would behave the same as just copying a dimension, in that auto acquired length factor was retained, that no longer seems to be the case. By length factor I mean a dim placed in layout space but snapped to a model space object in a detail. So if I have a detail that is scaled 1:48 (1/4" = 1’-0"), and in layout space I dimension a 4’ cube, the original dimension text will read 4’-0". If I just copy it, it retains its length factor and still reads 4’-0". If I copy and paste it, the dim loses its length factor and displays 1".

Could copy and pasting of dimensions be reverted to their old behavior where length factor was retained?

Thanks,
Sam

Hi Sam, I see that, thanks.
Wait, @SamPage… here in V5, if I start with foot-inch dimensions at 4’-0" snapped to the box, copy/paste gets me 4"…

That is not what you are describing, right?

-Pascal

1 Like

That is what I am describing, interestingly I don’t recall this not working in V5. I do remember it at one point working in V6.

Hi Sam - yeah, sorry, I mean that is not what you are describing as the desired past behavior… I’m trying to see where that was.

-Pascal

Ah yes. Desired behavior would be in your example if it pasted back in with 4’-0"

OK, thanks - I’m trying to establish whether or not this is a regression and it looks like not, right? I can add it as a request, but just making sure we did not break something that once worked…

-Pascal

If I drag a layout dim and duplicate it by tapping Alt, it retains it’s correct value.

1 Like

I really thought it behaved like this previously in V6. I use it fairly often if I need to move details between sheets, but I am unable to tell you when I noticed it not working that way anymore. It has been a while though (I think sometime in the past year).

Hi Sam - what are you trying to do with this - I’m guessing copy a dim from one layout to another? But as an un-attached dim?

-Pascal

Yes, often copy and pasting between different layouts. Usually it is if I have to move whole details to other sheets after they are drawn and dimmed. As for attached / history enabled, it would be nice if it remembered what it was attached to, but I would very happily give up the dimension’s history for copy and pasting with its original length factor reserved.

Sam

Sam, it seems like this worked as you expect in SR 19 - I put it on the list as RH-56193.
Thanks,
-wim

1 Like

@SamPage - I’ve tested the fix in a current in-house build and it looks to be the same as in SR 19. You’ll want to test with your specific workflow. As was said, the dimensions become un-attached but that is unchanged behavior from SR 19.
-wim

1 Like

RH-56193 is fixed in the latest Service Release