Coordinates Im- & Export

Good morning,

Ive a question about measurement. We measure points with a tachymeter and every point gets a name. After that we check points, we have a nominal dimension and also a actual dimension. With excel we compare the coordinates. Now I have to import the coordinates to rhinceros. For each point Id like to create a point with the name. How can I do this with the excel-file? How must the excel file look like? Has anybody a submission of the excel-file for me? I know its possible to import the points, but its without a name…

And the second question is the export of the coordinates with the name. How can I export the coordinates into a excel-file. I really hope that there is a possibility, because I have to measure so many points in the next month.

Best regards

Christopher

Hi,

Both import and export are relatively easily done. For the import, if the Excel file was in a format X Y Z Name (4 columns) would that work? How do you want the name to be attributed to the point? Is just using the object name OK?

–Mitch

Attached is a script to try out that will import points from an Excel file (.xls or .xlsx) and attribute an object name to each point created (if a name is present, otherwise nothing). The format needs to be X Y Z Name (4 columns) as above. This can be easily modified if you need something different. The export script is also easy, but I will wait until you have tried this one.

As this is vacation time, I am moving around a lot, I might not be able to do anything else until much later today.

–Mitch

ImportExcelPointsWithNames.rvb(1.0 KB)