Complex surface creation

Hello!
Sorry for a newbie question. I’m trying to create a surface out of curves and cross-sections. I understand how to use the sweep 2-rails tool, but i’m stuck now as i’m having more than 2 rails:

Looks like i have to use surface from network of curves, but i don’t understand how i can use it in the particular case. Could somebody explain it to me please? Or maybe there’s another approach?

It should look smth like this in the end (i’m now creating the body):

thx in advance

Hello - it’s a little hard to just say ‘do this, then do this’… to model this using surfaces you’d normally spend some time thinking about how to organize the surfaces into sensible patches and deciding what curves to make etc. The ‘lumpiness’ of this thing in the image, the sort of hand-made-ness of it does not lend itself particularly to surface modeling - it looks to me like a mesh or even Sub-D model would be more suitable if that rough look is part of what you’re after. If this is a rough model of something that ideally is clean and crisp then surfaces will be just fine.

So, all that said, how much do you know about Rhino? I’d say this is not a beginner project but it looks like a really good and challenging surfacing project if you know your way around the various surface creation, matching and analysis tools…

-Pascal

1 Like

It’s possible, looking at the base…

You can start with a shape which just describes the body, with only the outmost candle holders in it. This can be lofted from a series of ovals which describe cross sections.

For the thing(process) that holds the figure(ramifications : ), you can revolve a profile curve, cut a hole in the base, and then BlendSrf it in.

The feet could be added, and use a BlendSrf to connect them. I would loft the feet, and use a plane on the bottom. You can also fillet the edges on the sole, but try to make the angles at the soleline straight and perpendicular to the surface it would sit on. I would not use too tight of a loft.

The concave area can be a deformed sphere, which is boolean’ed in.

To put the handmade look in it, you should be able to make a copy of your final smooth version, then use Cage Edit with a lot of x,y,z nodes. Then, you should be able to pull some nodes in an out to give it that effect.

Hmmm. Randomize Transform Script?

Hi There,
I used a curve network for the main body and blends for the candle holders. It looks ok, I think. But, definitely not hand-made. The layer names should be helpful.

Wow guys! Thanks for the detailed answers. Looks like the curves i’ve prepared in dropbox file were wrong in the “rhino-thinking” way. There is no way of making such a complex surface in one go. It should have maximum 4 sides to do so with curve network (while this one has something like 16 in total? ). Correct?

So i have to break it down into steps. First make the main “banana” with curvenetwork from the outermost candle-holders and then blendsrf the middles ones.

Obviously i’m not expecting the ‘handmadeness’ of the surface, i would rather use Blender or Sculptgl for adding the bumps and clay imperfections to the final body.

This is what i got…