Clipping plane - Snapping to the clipping plane edge

(Afp) #1

Hi,
Does anyone know if there is a way to be able to snap to the intersection of a clipping plane with a surface or polysurface? I’m trying to accurately dimension the cross section of the cut solids in a clipped perspective view.

0 Likes

Here’s a horrible way of doing it. Make a planar surface as the clipping plane. Then intersect the geometry. Then you may have to explode the intersected curves to get lengths on them. —-Mark

0 Likes

(Afp) #3

Thank you Mark. I’ll try that. I just wish Rhino would recognize the clipping plane and allow you to snap to the endpoints. It would be very useful. Perhaps a Rhino 7 upgrade? Any thoughts from Rhino developers?

0 Likes

(Pascal Golay) #4

Hello - a trick to get those curves might be:

! _Intersect _InfinitePlane

Selct the clipping plane, then all the other objects.

_Pascal

0 Likes

(Afp) #5

It worked without having to explode the curves! Thank you Mark and Pascal.

0 Likes

It would be very useful to be able to snap on the clipping plane edges directly, without any workarounds.

0 Likes

(Wim Dekeyser) #7

Hi - I have added your wish to the open item - RH-39927

1 Like

Thank you @wim
To make it even more useful would be good to add Clipping Plane Edges in the Osnap tab among End, Near, Point, Mid etc.

0 Likes

(Wim Dekeyser) #9

Hi - I’m not sure about that. I would think that it should work with the regular snaps. If not, you would need a special snap for Clipping Plane Section > Mid, one for Clipping Plane Section > End, etc…

0 Likes

Yes, You’re right.

I was thinking about the situation where there’s, let’s say, a top view and a clipping plane and I would like to snap on some clipping plane edges to measure. So I don’t want to accidentally snap on some endpoint below the clipping plane edge. But I guess this will be avoided anyway because of the Snap to occluded objects - off.

1 Like

(Pascal Golay) #11

Hello - In case it helps, End and Mid & Near work on clipping plane edges now.

-Pascal

0 Likes

@pascal, Since SR14? I have 13 and they don’t.

0 Likes

(Pascal Golay) #13

True, I am using an in-house latest build… I’ll try the public SR in a bit. But I am not aware of any changes in that area…

-Pascal

0 Likes

Great, let me know if they work or not. Thanks!

0 Likes

(Pascal Golay) #15

@Bogdan_Chipara - End, Near and Mid osnaps all work here in SR13…

-Pascal

0 Likes

They don’t work here…

0 Likes

@pascal we are talking about different things. I’m talking about snapping on these edges :smiley:

0 Likes