CLIPPING PLANE along curve

Dear Rhino Developers.

1. Usually people use Rhino to design complicated curved 3D object.

2. Every architect and engineer, after modeling, need to produce drawings for manufacture. We need to make sections along elements or axis. Most Rhino users design buildings not linear, but combinations with arc and curved. After modeling our vision, we have problem with preparing traditional sections.

Please add to RHINO functionality below:

1. SECTIONS ALONG OBJECT: curve or surface (even if they are joined with parts). You have all algorithms ready (IntersectTwoSets + FlowAlongSrf). You have to only join them, to make process automatically. (see my post generating-curvy-section).

2. CLIPPING ALONG OBJECT: curve or surface.

3. UNROLL CLIPPING ALONG OBJECT. This is similar effect to point 1, with one but huge difference. After every change of the model, sections will be updated automatically.

This is needed for general section, but also for eg. will be used to unroll walls of the room (for interion designers), or geometry of the wall for structural designers.

There are many reasons to buy Rhino. But because I haven’t seen this functionality in any other program – this advantage will be enough reason to buy Rhino even for people, who for every day for some reasons use other programs.

1 Like

Hello - please try

1. ClippingPlane > AroundCurve
  2. ArrayCrv the result on the curve

Is that something like what you are asking for?

-Pascal

Hi Pascal,
I’m not speaking for the OP but if I understand his request properly, this is not what he is looking for.
I’m also trying to find a solution for his problem.

While this is useful to create cross sections perpendicular to the curve (and necessary also)
What I believe he is looking for, and also I am looking for, is the ability to create a “long section” or essentially what we call a “developed” section along the length of this curve. Basically if you were to calculate the arc length(s) and then draw it as straight line then this is what we are after.
Essentially straighten out this axis line (and all of the geometry that might be along it) and create a front or rear longitudinal (parallel) elevation of it rather than a perpendicular section as you have shown.

When it is just the arc to straighten out its easy enough, but when you start putting geometry along it, it gets really complicated to draw by hand.

Hi Craig - that would take a few steps but is possible, if I understand you.

Does this make any sense?

DevelopedSection.3dm (129.5 KB)

-Pascal

Hi Pascal,
I tried to open your file to take a look but unfortunately I dont have Rhino 8…yet.

I’m not sure I fully comprehend the OP’s problem, but perhaps the Slicer component in the Nudibranch plugin will partially help. See: Slicer - Nudibranch - Component for Grasshopper | Grasshopper Docs Download Nudibranch here: https://www.food4rhino.com/en/app/nudibranch

Just be sure to only installed the most recent Nudibranch plugin so you don’t have a conflict when opening Grasshopper. The readme folder has installation instructions.